[bct] Re: weight control and loss.

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 17:44:35 -0800

Hi all,

Just a few thoughts to toss out to the list.

I think the theories and exploration of the causes of weight gain (or, more rarely, the inability to gain weight and reach what is right for a person) have certainly expanded over the past 30 years. I recall reading a book called Eat and Stay Slim, in which weight gain and loss was compared to money in a bank; it was rather simplistic: you eat, you gain; you don't, you lose; you eat less fat, you burn the fat you have and lose. And on it went. I've also seen books such as Eat Right for your Type, in which diet, and not necessarily weight gain or loss, was based on your blood type, with type O being the least suitable for vegetarians. I don't have any particular views on the subject of losing weight; I know I am overweight and would love to lose it; I suspect part of my problem is genetic, since my mother, her mother, and on it went, were overweight; my mother went through just about every medical procedure and diet to try to lose weight, and she didn't lose any until her 70s. In her last years, she didn't eat well, and died very frail.

When i was much younger, I went on one of those protein shake diets (fortunately I had a good meal each day; it wasn't Cambridge or some such); and I lost a fair amount of unwanted weight, but, of course, gained it back. Due to age catching up and the general slowing of metabolism, hormone activity, change of life, etc., I have been gaining more than I'd like, but I certainly hope that I can work on balancing things out; there are many approaches--increased physical activity, the use of progesterone cream to balance out hormones (Dr. John R. Lee did a fair amount of research on estrogen dominance; not sure if anyone is carrying on his work, since I heard he died some time ago) are just a couple of approaches.

I think a large part of dealing with this is accepting yourself as you are and not punishing yourself; that just increases anxiety and stress, and who needs more of that? I know I need to lose weight, and it will happen when it happens; if not, it doesn't. My mother obsessed about her weight, and, occasionally, mine. It did neither of us any good.

If you have a clear medical reason for needing to lose weight quickly, then definitely action should be taken quickly; if you're like many of the rest of us, one of the most important steps is to accept it and deal with it in whatever way seems best in your situation.