[bct] Re: web page development

  • From: "Mike Justice" <m.d.justice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 20:51:10 -0500

I use a combination of, and variations of, techniques to generate, proof, and
test  my web pages before uploading:
1) WordPad is a very simple and speech friendly text editor for composing my
material for new pages, until I have a final draft.  The majority of my new
pages consist primarily of text, needing uniform links, headers, and footers.
  2) If I have an existing page with the same headers and footers to be used on
the new page, I load that page into FrontPage first, and save it with the new
file name (this is a precaution to over writing the original).  Then I delete
the material that will not be part of the new file.  Next I import the text
file with the cursor located at the proper position.  Finally, I save the file
which is now in HTML code, to the directory structure on my own hard drive.
This directory is structured the same as the one that resides on my server.
  NOTE: JAWS 7.0 does not work as smoothly as I would like if I stay in
FrontPage for further refinements, so I do only a few, and save the others for
the next step.  I first began all my page construction using only manually
produced HTML code, so I only gradually transition to newer techniques with
FrontPage as I develop more confidence in the results.
  3) Now that I have a nearly complete web page in HTML, I load that file into
WordPad, and sometimes load a similar completed HTML file into a second session
of WordPad.  I can copy and paste sections from the completed file, and I can
use global find and replace techniques for other editing in the developing
file.
  4) I can run IE6 and use the open/browse command to find the folder where my
file is stored, then load it to see how it displays in the browser.
  5) If I find problems, I can move back to the window with the WordPad HTML
file, make corrections and save those to the hard drive.
  6) then I move back to the window with IE6, and use the F5 key to refresh the
page to see my editing.
  7) Another feature of FrontPage that I do like to use is the spell checker,
because it works quite well for files that are in HTML format.  I have even
made corrections on some of my earlier files, then uploaded the corrected files
to my web site server.

  I am still new at web site management, about 18 months experience, and I have
found that much of what we do comes down to personal preference.

  Mike Justice,
  www.MPNHome.net