[bct] volume differences when playing audio files in different players

  • From: <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bct" <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 20:13:00 -0800

Hi all,

I just sent a quick note to Neal about this (with my talent show submission)
but this is a question that may be driving some of the rest of you crazy, just
like it's bugging me, and maybe somebody has an answer so we can get our sanity
back!

When I play my submission (or other files) in Studio Recorder, they sound fine.
But when I play it in Winamp, the volume is very low. I am just using Winamp
lite with no fancy stuff in it; is there a weird sort of limiter built in that
cranks the volume down or something? Sometimes the sound is so low in Winamp
that I have to turn the speakers up all the way; true, they're just $30
speakers but usually they're pretty responsive.

Anybody have a clue how this can be fixed? Is there a magic control in Winamp?
Or maybe I should just play everything in Studio Recorder and forget Winamp!
That's very tempting these days, but it would be a bit like bringing up Word
just to write a one-line text file.

Thanks -

Mary