[bct] Re: voice recordings made with the computer

  • From: "Debee Norling" <debee@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 16:18:56 -0800

Pam,

On most sound cards, the mic jack is mono. Actually it isn't really mono but
mono is the result you get. It is "sound blaster compatible" which means
that though there is a stereo plug, it isn't used for a stereo mic.  Stereo
mics use the tip and the ring of the mini-plug for left and right channels
of stereo. Sound blaster compatible mics are those cheapie computer mics;
they use the tip and the ring of what normally is a stereo miniplug for mono
and plug in power. The card actually powers the mic.

I am not sure why cheap sound cards continue this standard, established in
the DOS days when the sound samples were only 8 bits and the cards were used
as mainly novelty peripherals, but they do. You have to get a professional
(not a consumer quality) sound card to have stereo mic inputs.

But the line input is usually stereo and less noisy. So you can connect a
stereo mic preamp then connect a stereo mic to the preamp, all running throu
the sound card line input.

I'll be doing a podcast about that soon.

--Debee