[bct] "unset blindcooltech Digest"

  • From: Stephen Guerra <stephen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 05:40:45 -0500

Sent: December 15, 2005 2:01 AM
To: blindcooltech digest users
Subject: blindcooltech Digest V1 #76

blindcooltech Digest    Wed, 14 Dec 2005        Volume: 01  Issue: 076

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 10:01:06 +0000
From: "Graham Lewis" <Graham.Lewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bct] Re: Amazing Amandaand wireless headphones

Thanks Lois.  I will check it out.  Oerhaos I need to wait a bit for the =
prices to come down to something I can afford.

>>> al419@xxxxxxxxxxx 12/13/05 09:34pm >>>
They are fairly expensive; but there are some good wireless headphones =
available
that will work with your computer.  Check out
www.chirpingbat.com/=20

Lois

--=20

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 10:21:14 +0000
From: "Graham Lewis" <Graham.Lewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bct] Re: Jaws 7 and thumb drive

I am a bit confused about this.  Is this a program you can download onto =
thumb drive or CD and run on any PC without needing to install it on a PC =
or is it an online service that you pay a subscription for.  The website =
seems to just talk about the subscription service.

I am interested in the idea of being able to make any PC I come across =
speak to me.

>>> catucker24@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 12/14/05 03:41am >>>
I haven't tried the Key to Freedom but I did burn the system access demo
onto a CD and ran it on a PC which has Nero on it and I had no problems.
But FB did tell me that it is not a full screen reader, the person I
talked with was pushing the FB from the Website which I think is good
for  an inexperienced computer user or someone new to the Web.
Curt

From: "Riz" <rizstf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bct] Re: Sending Pod casts
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 10:49:42 -0000

Yes Lynnette I have found You send it to be very cumbersom and slow and the
FTP thing is very funny, I will look into it and sea if I can find a
solution.
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 06:37:31 -0500
From: The Scarlet Wombat <coconut@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [bct] Re: being adventurous

Mary, I had a similar experience with science in grade school.  They never
taught the astronomy parts, so my science projects were always about star
charts, optics and other things the teacher could not understand at
all.  She just doled out an A to me because she figured if it were too
complicated for her, it was correct.  The fact was somewhat different, but
I never complained.  I was unhappy for years that NASA would not take a
partially blind person into the astronaut program.  I did make my share of
model rockets and police departments around where I lived now and then got
calls about strange lights in the sky  Of course, when I learned to make
mercury fulmonate bombs and have them detonate at about 5000 feet, that
really elicited many phone calls to the local constabulary.

My virginal experience with science fiction was with the movie, The Day the
Earth Stood Still.  Gort, Clatu barrata nikto.

Dan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 06:50:56 -0500
From: Stephen Guerra <sguerra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bct] Re: Studio Recorder

Its amazing how most people on this list have such amazing imaginations, and
this is what makes us all creative, Hope, i thought I was the only one who
did those things you described with the tape recorder, but again, an
imagination in a child is one that sshould be promoted where today, parents
have the TV and video games that kids get rapped up in

  _____

From: "Jo and Pablo" <pablo32@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bct] Re: darren's roomba podcast
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 07:00:15 -0500

Darren,

This is Jo (J O) from Michigan; and, I too, enjoyed your demonstration of
the roomba.

Oh, and by the way, who was your instructor at the Seeing Eye?  My dog's
name is Pablo, and my instructor was Sean.

Jo and Seeing Eye Dog, Pablo

------------------------------

From: "Riz" <rizstf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bct] A question regarding a voice recorder
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 12:11:38 -0000

Hy all just a quick question, has anyone tried the
Olympus VN1000?  The reason why I ask is because I am looking for such a
product and I was wondering if this one was any good.  While I am on the
subject does either the DS2 or WS320 have sterio microphones on the unit or
do you have to get external ones?  Thank you in advance.
Riz

------------------------------

From: "Alan Schlank" <aschlank@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bct] Re: Noisy neighbors
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 07:39:47 -0500

Hi Hope,

I doubt whether making a recording in your own apartment could be =
considered
as illegal.  Of course, it could depend upon the use you make of it.

Alan Schlank

From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bct] Re: Braille Christmas tree podcast
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 04:46:40 -0800

Megan,

The drawing book has about three dozen pictures, and I have a couple other
books, one entitled Braillables, pronounced like huggables. It is intended
for teachers and parents, but anybody can use that book because it describes

the different braille symbol patterns used for producing different shapes.

There was a series of braille books with pictures; I wish now that I had
gotten all of them. I will do a couple more drawings now that my voice came
back and the laryngitis is gone, thanks to some wonderful Chinese herbal
formulas. There are pictures for different holidays in So What about
Drawing. I have another book called Two-Handed Pictures which starts out
simple and then works up to a rather elaborate drawing of a house with
windows, a door, and a porch with a little roof over the top.

Maybe if enough people contact the Guild in Chicago, they'll make these
books available again. I guess I've started a trend.

Let me look at what I have and I'll dig out a few more Christmas and holiday

pictures. I know there's a snow man, and another of an angel.

Thanks, everyone, for responding; I didn't think this would mushroom into
such interest, but it looks like people are having fun with this.

Mary

------------------------------

From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bct] Re: Testing
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 04:49:03 -0800

Jake, got your test message and the one previous where you said the weather
caused the problems you were having.
Mary

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 07:51:43 -0500
From: The Scarlet Wombat <coconut@xxxxxxx>

Alan, I must gently disagree with you.  In many states, not all, it is
illegal to intentionally record another person, regardless of whether it is
being done from your  apartment or wherever.  It is only legal if the
other  person is made aware of the recording process.  This is not the law
everywhere, but it is the law in over half the states.  Sadly, what seems
to make sense and what the law says are not always congruent.

Dan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 12:52:38 +0000
From: "Graham Lewis" <Graham.Lewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hope,
        I enjoyed your podcast.  Even the scatter brain bits!  You have a =
nice voice.

I feel for you on the domestic noise problem.  I personally find noisy and =
inconsiderate neighbours one of the worse things to deal with.  I have a =
little vision left but using it requires I get good rest and a bad night =
messes me up.

Luckily my home, the one where my wife and kids live, is in a really quite =
coastal village and waking up ther on a Saturday morning is bliss.  =
However I spend the weekdays in Coventry which is a pretty built up part =
of England whether I get a good night;s sleep here is always an unknown.

I liked your song too.  It would not go amiss in the Christmas song charts =
over here.  Very soothing.

Graham

------------------------------

From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 04:55:33 -0800

Lynnette,
Looks like you're starting to enjoy Studio Recorder too. Have fun with it!
I am a little concerned about if the upgrades and official releases will
have to be purchased, or if registered users can get a discount. It cost
quite a bit to start with, and it could get a bit expensive if we have to
pay that much for upgrades every so often. But the positive side is that
it's so incredibly accessible and the people designing it use it and love it
as much as the rest of us. And, truth be told, Where else can we get
blind-friendly audio software! No place else, as far as I'm concerned.

Mary

------------------------------

From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 05:09:32 -0800

Lynnette,
There is a great podcast that Larry uploaded last Friday or Saturday, called
mix mix mix. Rob Meredith talks about the subject of how to mix with Studio
Recorder. It is wonderfully helpful, and I used it and the new edition of
the manual to learn how to do it. There are different ways of doing the same
thing; for my begin and end theme, I just inserted the file with the music,
and then I did shift and the letter A to set up the sound layering or what
you could call sound on sound, and then I did control-home to go to the top
of the file, and space to play, and then spoke. You can't hear yourself
through the headphones when you do this type of recording, or at least I
couldn't, but it gets the job done. When you're done you just space again to
stop. The problem with this is that you can't control sound levels, so there
is a little more elaborate method that involves inserting your music file,
then control N to open a new document; this new one will be your second
track. Then i
 n this new document, shift and the letter A to get sound layering set up,
then switch to your first document which could be accompaniment or whatever,
and then play it; this starts the recording in the second, new, track, so
you can harmonize or whatever; then instead of just the stop command, you
have to use shift-escape which stops everything. The final step is to mix
the two together; there may be a keyboard shortcut for that, but what I had
to do was go into the menus, and I had to search for the mix command; not
sure just where that is; it could be in the process section but I'm not
sure. Once you press enter on mix, you get into a dialog where it asks about
sound levels and stuff.

It just involves a lot of playing around but it is marvelous! The great
thing is you can add as many tracks as you want, and it's limited by disk
space and computer memory.

I think of all the times I used a Tascam four-track recorder and thought it
was so cool, but this is better!

Mary

------------------------------

From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 05:28:25 -0800

Dan, you are fortunate to have had the freedom to do science projects as you

described. I lived in a rather isolated middle class suburbia where my
parents limited me severely and one of my few freedoms was reading; although

my parents graduated from high school, they didn't have much college and
therefore didn't feel like they wanted their child, daughter mind you, to do

anything they didn't understand, so I'd read about the experiments in
science books and wish I could do them, but I didn't have ready access to a
lot of things. Goodness, I couldn't even take chemistry in high school, so I

took the college prep biology and really excelled in the biochemistry part
of it, and I had an easy A in college biology.

I have The Day The Earth Stood Still on video and didn't even see it till
last year although there was always a lot of talk about it. It definitely
was a movie with a message. Good thing web braille has all the wonderful
science books it has. I know Recording for the Blind has far more, but web
braille is so immediately accessible. I've spent more time than I normally
would trying to get a feel for the periodic table of chemical elements (I
hope that's what it's called) but just can't quite see the logic in it, or
what constitutes a mild reaction as opposed to one that's more prevalent;
maybe it's governed by the atomic structure, rather than the appearance or
change in form. Chemistry is so foreign to me, for some reason. I am far
more drawn to disciplines like physics, biology, ecology, and biochemistry,
and the study of the very large or the very small. Then there are so many
areas that aren't scientific that I love too, such as anthropology,
literature, music, herbal medicine; it's quite healthy to have a very wide
range of interests. It seems like just about everybody on this list falls
into that category since we all discuss just about everything and anything
and enjoy differences of opinions and viewpoints.

Just some random thoughts for today, from
Mary

------------------------------

From: "Alan Schlank" <aschlank@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 08:10:38 -0500

Hi Dan,

I am certainly no lawyer, but I believe the key word here is =
intentionally.
If one were to legitimately record something in his/her apartment and =
the
background noise unintentionally appeared in the recording...Well, you =
see
what I am saying. =20

Alan=20

Alan, I must gently disagree with you.  In many states, not all, it is=20
illegal to intentionally record another person, regardless of whether it =
is=20
being done from your  apartment or wherever.  It is only legal if the=20
other  person is made aware of the recording process.  This is not the =
law=20
everywhere, but it is the law in over half the states.  Sadly, what =
seems=20
to make sense and what the law says are not always congruent.

Dan=20

------------------------------

From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bct] Re: A question regarding a voice recorder
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 05:30:25 -0800

Riz,
Both the DS2 and WS320 have stereo microphones; on the 320 they are on the
left and right of the flat front of the machine, near the top; on the DS2
they are on the actual edges, left and right corners.

Mary

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 14:05:39 +0000
From: "Graham Lewis" <Graham.Lewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Mary,
            I must do my career cast now that I have the gadgetry.  I was =
a Biologist for some years until I had to give it up as my eyesight went.  =
I still love that stuff and like many of you have always been a keen =
science fiction fan which is what got me into science in the forst place.  =
Writers like Heinlein and Asimov that I read in the early days did a lot =
to make science sexy.

Now that I have young children I am struggling with ways that I might =
still be able to infect my kids with a love of science.  More about that =
in a podcast soon I hope.

Graham=20

Graham Lewis
Centre for Academic Practice
University of Warwick
University House
Kirby Corner Road
Coventry CV4 8UW
UK
=20
Tel.: (+44) (0) 24 765 72737
Mobile: 07733450022
Fax.: (+44) (0) 24 765 727326

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/cap/about/staff/lewis/
http://innovations.warwick.ac.uk/innovations/
http://cap.warwick.ac.uk/tdf

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 09:26:19 -0500
From: The Scarlet Wombat <coconut@xxxxxxx>

Mary, that is too bad about not being able to do the experiments when you
were younger, they were fun.

The periodic table is not complicated, but it takes eithersight or a
properly oriented Braille display of it for it to become sensible.

Horizontally there are groupings, the top row has only hydrogen on the left
and helium on the right, they have the lowest atomic numbers.  After the
third row, they go all the way across, 7 or 8 across.  Vertically, they are
arranged according to fammilies.  For example, the rightmost are those with
stable outer electron shells, including the inert gasses like krypton,
argon and neon.

The most active elements are on the left of the rows, the least active on
the right.  So, really active ones like sodium and potassium are on the
left side and the more inactive ones like those I mentioned and the
halogens are on the right.

As a rule, the elements on the left of the chart have a positive oxidation
state and those on the right have a negative one.  Chemical reactions are
governed by a matching up of oxidation states, if they do not add to zero,
you have an ion and not a molecule...with the exception of gasses like
oxygen that have a bivalent molecular structure, always in pairs.

Anyway, I am getting carried away with myself, I love chemistry and
physics, both.

Sadly, the kind of science books I want to read now are generally
unavailable from web Braille or any other source, they being advanced
cosmology, high energy physics and truly esoteric stuff like superstring
theory and quantum physics.

Dan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 09:31:49 -0500
From: The Scarlet Wombat <coconut@xxxxxxx>

Alan, in Massachusetts, even an unintentional recording would be
inadmissable if not illegal.  Intent is not always the criterion where the
courts are concerned.  It often is, but not always.  Other states vary in
their laws, but in many, you just cannot use a recording to prove anything
and if you try, you could be sued for invasion of privacy, even if the
recording was made without intent.

Dan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 09:49:21 -0500
From: Chris G <chrisg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

hi,
just a note on freedombox.
I took the passkey to the store yesterday so i could listen to speech on
a laptop before i bought it to make sure i could tolerate the  speakers.

--
Chris G <chrisg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 15:01:32 +0000
From: "Graham Lewis" <Graham.Lewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

  Dan,
         I have the same issue with new science books.  I hear reviews =
about such really interesting books in New Scientist which I get as text =
files each week and listen to on the train with my Bookcourier but cannot =
get the books themselves unless I purchased them in print and scanned them =
in as text.  That is a lot of work and any time I have to do that sort of =
thing is taken up with literature for work.

One day publishers will wake up to the needs of blind people but not yet.

Graham=20

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 08:22:12 -0700
From: "Rose Combs" <rosecombs@xxxxxxxxx>

I never did get an answer to my Studio Recorder question.

How do I convert files recorded on the Olympus DS2 to a format I can use in
Studio recorder?

Rose Combs
rosecombs@xxxxxxxxx

From: "Lynnette" <superlynne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 10:25:34 -0500

Exactly.
That's why it's on my Christmas wish list.  A little bird has offered to
purchase it for me, if I like it--and I really, really do.

From: "Lynnette" <superlynne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 10:30:19 -0500

Thank you very much, Mary.  This will be quite helpful.
I learned a bit of how to mix in Sound Forge but it seems I'll be able to do
a great deal more with SR.

From: "Lynnette" <superlynne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 10:43:50 -0500

MessageHi Rose,
Do you know what format the DS2 files are?  ...WMA or something else?  If
they're in a format that is not supported by Studio Recorder then they'll
have to be converted to wav files. I thought I heard that they're in a
proprietary format, which would be absolutely rotten but let me do some
research.
I'm certain by the time I get back to you, 70 messages will have been posted
with your answer.  <grin>
Lynnette

From: "Mike Justice" <m.d.justice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 10:46:37 -0500

Dan,

Can you comment on the use of recordings as legal evidence  as it relates to

the wide spread use of surveillance cameras in commercial and public
establishments?  Is the key issue that you cannot invade the privacy of a
person in their own residence?  Is there perhaps an extenuating circumstance

when the territorial rights of one person may overlap those of another?
Many communities have local ordinances relating to public nuisance such as
loud noise, or unsightly conditions visible to neighbors.

Mike Justice.
From: "boomerdad" <boomerdad@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 07:48:32 -0800

Okay fine.  Start recording from your apartment, talk a bit, then say
something like "Scuse me, it's a bit noisy..." and just keep the recording
going.  You weren't *intentionally* recording the noise as far as anyone
hearing the recording knows, and the purpose is served.  Stupid loophole to
get around a stupid facet of the law.

=====
Feel the power...
Wield the magic!...
http://www.draconisentertainment.com
Gaming at the speed of sound!

------------------------------

From: "Maria" <malyn87@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 11:00:01 -0500

Yes Jake, I'm reading you loud and clear.
Maria

From: "Maria" <malyn87@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 11:24:37 -0500

All right already; I got the  message.  Studio recorder it is then.
Maria

From: "Kerry Calderon" <kerry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bct] hi help needed
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 11:12:20 -0500

Hi all,
I'm not getting emails from this list, I don't know why. and when I surch
for the list I get blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxx and with this message,
this list is not ready. if this message made it through could some one reply
to me off list?  email address is
kerry@xxxxxxxxxxx take care

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 08:21:39 -0800
From: "Lois Goodine" <al419@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Mary.
I called the Chicago Guild and they have no more of those books.  I figured
as
much from what you said about it in the beginning.  But one never knows what
might be lying around somewhere.  Too bad we could find a thermoform machine
and
copy them.  Or, that someone doesn't still produce such books.  Anyway these
things are fun and inventive.  Thanks for your efforts.
Lois

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 08:26:32 -0800
From: "Lois Goodine" <al419@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bct] Re: hi help needed

Yes, your message made it to the list.  But  I can't figure why you're not
receiving mail from it.  It may be some mess with the list itself at
freelists.
If you still have the message that came telling you that you were
subscribed,
you might send an E-mail there asking what the trouble might be.
Lois.

------------------------------

From: "Kerry Calderon" <kerry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bct] never mind i'm back
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 11:33:45 -0500

hi, just got the email.I got back on.
 tstt is my I s p, they were acting up, and I got a virus and crashed my
laptop. so  I had to go back to the  desktop. and that crashed to. I was
messed up for a while lost every single one of the podcast. grrrr why people
make viruses!
anyway I'm back, and don't know if I should get them all again, maybe it
might  slow down Larry server. sy...
oh well, bye for now.
Kerry Calderon
Trinidad west Indies
Skype babyboy_aka_kmc
Msn babybear11232_11@xxxxxxxxxxx
seasons greetings to all.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 16:37:13 +0000
From: "Graham Lewis" <Graham.Lewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bct] Wireless earplug

Answering my own question in case anybody is onterested.  I asked about =
small wireless headphones earplugs really that would enable me to listen =
to my computer audio output while giving a powerpoint presentation.

As Lois pointed pout the wire;ess headsets are expensive but I don't =
really need that high quality sound.  I have founf a gadget that plugs =
into the audio out on the computer or pretty much any other device and =
beams the audio as analogue radio.  Now I just need to find a reaaly small =
radio that I can tune to the output.  I am sure I heard about little =
radios that were contained in a single earplug.  Probably can't tune them =
though. =20

If I get anywhere with this I will report back.  I woulf wwelcome any =
suggestions or thoughts though.

Graham =20

------------------------------

From: "Lynnette" <superlynne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bct] Re: never mind i'm back
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 11:42:58 -0500

Hi Kerry,
Glad you're back.  That is awful about your computers.  I know exactly what
it's like, though.  My poor bedraggled desktop is slogging along but seems
as if it's hanging by one leg.  Thankfully, my laptop is doing well.  My
computer in my office, however, is down with a virus as well.  <sigh>
What is going on here?  I could positively throttle those awful sub-human
life-forms who create viruses.

Lynnette

From: "Kerry Calderon" <kerry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bct] some cool info
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 11:44:10 -0500

Hi again, just  got this in my inbox, it seems cool and seeing that most of
the people on this list like audio stuff? check this out.
A special Christmas Gift from ATI and Talking Communities!

Using Cutting Edge Technology to Enhance your Business Presence on
the Web with CathyAnne and George Buys

Please join us Wednesday, December 14 from 3:00 - 5:00 PM Pacific for
a special seminar. During this exciting two-hour seminar, CathyAnne
will share how you can use cutting edge technology to bring your
business into the 21st century.
CathyAnne will share the tricks of the trade she has learned through
using the most powerful and accessible tools on the Internet. From
managing a voice chat conference to presenting audio and video on the
Internet and creating a powerful and respectable presence on the
World Wide Web.
this three-hour seminar will be information packed. You are invited
to join CathyAnne and her special guest George Buys in this special
seminar that is free to all and a gift to our community from ATI and
Talking Communities.

You may view the Seminar Schedule here:
http://www.accesstechnologyinstitute.com/catalog/syllabi/FreeSeminar.

html

The link below will allow access to the conference room.  Please
enter your name without a password to enter.  Please use your real
name.  Anyone using a handle or nickname will be immediately and
permanently banned from the conference room.  The room will be
available a half hour before the conference begins.
http://67.19.231.218/v4/login.asp?r=3c5c341e

You can also visit:
http://www.accesstechnologyinstitute.com/catalog/courses/FreeSeminar.

html
to view the Seminar Schedule and enter the conference room.

From: "Kerry Calderon" <kerry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 12:44:59 -0500

HMM, SEEMS LIKE IT'S THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR FOR GATE  WAY, HP,
DELL, IBM etc.
is just me? lol. oh well, back to rebuilding stuff.
was using my sister old pc which mind you is crazy slow. skype almost dies
when I use that pc.
well till.

From: "Stephen Guerra" <stephen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bct] test msg do not reply
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 12:50:33 -0500

Stephen A. Guerra
Assistive Technology Specialist
Independent Living Aids
200 Robbins Lane
Jericho, NY 11753
E-Mail: can-do@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.independentliving.com <http://www.independentliving.com/>
www.annmorris.com <http://www.annmorris.com/>
www.soundbytes.com <http://www.soundbytes.com/>
Phone: (516) 937-1848
  Fax: (516) 937-3906

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 12:50:35 -0500
From: The Scarlet Wombat <coconut@xxxxxxx>

Hi Mike, remember that I am not an attorney, just married to a soon to be
one and have studied along with her in law school for the past 3 years.

Privacy rights are ticklish things as they are not enumerated in the
Constitution.  The first Supreme Court case delineating privacy rights was
the famous Roe versus Wade.  While I agree with the substance of the case,
they had to truly torture the constitution in order to generate a privacy
right that is not written in so many words.

This privacy issue goes to the heart of your question about security and
surveillance.  As I recall, there is a supreme court case that says it is
legitimate if used for those purposes.  In public places, there is
generally no assumed right of privacy.  The issue for recording a person
from your apartment in their apartment lies mainely in the fact that it is
not a public place.  In many states, it would be legal to record a person's
speech if they were standing next to you and talking on a cell phone, for
example, as long as they could see the recorder.  Some states do not even
require seeing the recorder.  Surveillance cameras are supposed to be
visible, which is a very vague and ill defined term and covers a host of
sins.

So, the very clear answer to your question is a solid maybe.  But, when you
begin to study the law, you soon find more issues are covered by maybe than
by a definite yes or no.

Dan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 12:52:25 -0500
From: The Scarlet Wombat <coconut@xxxxxxx>

Aw Maria, you're an easy touch.  Can I have Studio Recorder for Christmas,
too?  Huh?  Pretty please with Lindt mint truffles, chocolate cream pie and
German Chocolate cake on top?

Dan

------------------------------

From: "Darren Duff" <dduff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 13:18:44 -0500

Hi Joe.

Steve Neumann was my instructor and at the time he was still working on
his apprenticeship. As you probably already know, Kenya is my guide
dog's name.

From: "Jake Joehl" <jajoehl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 12:19:56 -0600

Hi Hope and all. One thing the technicians did mention was that the problem
would take 24-72 hours to get completely fixed and if it isn't fixed by
then, we are to call them.
Jake
  Jake, good to know you're back up again.  I've had a bit of an unstable
connection as well, but I think it's pretty much straightened itself out.

  Hope
    OK here's a test message to see if my server is back up for good, or at
least for the time being. Two Comcast technicians were out here today and
they went out back to do some things with the cable box. They said that the
problems we were experiencing are due to the extreme cold.
    Jake

12/13/2005

------------------------------

From: "Jake Joehl" <jajoehl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 12:27:05 -0600

I just listened to the Christmas tree podcast myself. i have actually seen
that design before on the front of some braille pamphlets.
Jake

------------------------------

From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 10:23:40 -0800

Rose,
You need an external program to convert files from wma to wave files; there
are lots of conversion programs out there. I think Windows has one built in,
but I don't know how good it is.

I can't really be any more specific than that. I've mentioned the one I've
been using but the interface is quirky.

Mary

------------------------------

From: "Hope" <musicofhope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 14:58:15 -0500

I completely second that!  <grin>  Especially the truffles!  mmmmm!! ...

Hope

------------------------------

From: "Jake Joehl" <jajoehl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bct] Re: Amazing Amanda Interactive Baby Doll
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 13:59:05 -0600

I just listened to this and I liked it. That Amanda is so amazing! I know a
few young ones who'd love her company.
Jake
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 14:58:32 -0500
From: "LARRY SKUTCHAN" <lskutchan@xxxxxxx>

Hi Mary.

I can't promise anything, but so far, APH has never charged for an
update to Studio Recorder, and it has been out for several years now.

From: "Hope" <musicofhope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 15:10:37 -0500

I completely and totally agree with you 100 percent.  Imagination is a
priceless gift, and like anything else, it grows a bit dusty when not in
use.
Hope

From: "Hope" <musicofhope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bct] Re: Studio Recorder and music
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 15:18:31 -0500

Lynnette,
<smiles>  I don't know about genius in my case, however, the harmonizing
thing was pretty easy.  Actually, Mary's explanation was probably much more
precise and much more detailed than mine would have been, because I haven't
really gotten to the level of mixing she's talking about where you create
one document and then another, though I remember hearing about that on the
"Mix Mix Mix" podcast.  That is a whole new adventure I'll attempt very
soon, though.
By the way, you've mentioned you sing, could I, on behalf of everyone else
that is eagerly awaiting a sampling of your vocal talents, just ask when and
if you're going to submit something?  No hurry or anything, however, I, at
least, am waiting with great anticipation to hear you.  I just love music
and when Mary and everyone else started submitting their musical
contributions I was so excited.  You have a musical voice, so it is only
fitting that you would use it to sing.

Hope
  Wow!  How'd you do that?  I've only been playing with SR for one evening
and I think it's awesome.  If I could actually harmonize with myself, I'd be
in seventh glory.

  Would you spill the secret, Hope?
  Thanks much in advance.

  And just remember that behind nuttiness there's usually genius!  <grin>
  Lynnette

From: "Hope" <musicofhope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 15:28:41 -0500

Hello, Dan and all,
I don't know if this will make a difference, or if you know the legalities,
but I currently am living in Ohio.  You had mentioned Massachusetts, so now
that I've finally gotten around to it, <apologies> there you go.  I like the

talking idea and then letting it just seep into the recording.

Hope

------------------------------

From: "Bill Belew" <bill@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 13:04:00 -0800

Hello Hope,

I don't know the official laws, but I have a very hard time believing =
that
it would be against the law to record sounds that you hear within your =
own
living space.  I personally would feel perfectly justified to record any
sounds that make their way into my apartment. =20

Isn't it interesting that we are being photographed by businesses and
government and private individuals everywhere we go and I've never heard
that it is illegal to photograph someone without their permission. =20

Bill

> Hi Dan. Your mention of noisy neighbors got me to thinking about
> something.
> Every night my roommate and I have to put up with this too. Actually I =
am
> quite used to it from living with noisy au pairs and their friends and =

> such.
> But my roommate absolutely can't stand it. The apartment up above us =
is=20
> home to a mother and two of her sons, although one is away at college =
most

> of the time and the third son lives in downtown Chicago. At night when =
all

> three or even two of them are home, they like to wrestle. My roommate =
has=20
> at times taken it upon himself to go up and pound on their door, and =
very=20
> rudely tell them to please tone it down or cut it out. But I swear =
every=20
> time he does this, I can't hear him because my door is shut. I think =
he's=20
> rather unpopular now since he is so mean to them. They aren't even =
that=20
> loud, at least I don't think they are. It just sounds loud because =
they're

> so close by. But they're a very nice family.
> BTW, the technicians who were out here said that our server problems =
were=20
> caused by the weather.
> Jake
> ----- Original Message -----=20

--=20
12/13/2005

------------------------------

From: "Neal Ewers" <ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 15:13:01 -0600

I have a funny story and a different take on this.

A number of years ago, I had a noisy neighbor who had her giant stereo
speakers hung on the wall that adjoined our apartments.  I asked her
nicely for a few times to turn down her music.  She did not.  I
complained to the landlord, Nothing.  So one night, reasoning that it
was music I was about to record and not someone's private
conversation, I stood in the middle of my living room and recorded the
sound.  The next day, I called the landlord down and was once again
complaining to her abut the sound.  She asked if I would mind turning
down the stereo I had playing so she could hear me.  I told her that I
had wished I could do the same thing when I had recorded what she was
now hearing from my next door neighbor as I stood in the middle of the
living room.  My neighbor was gone within the week.

I suspect the difference here is that I was recording music and not a
private conversation or private screaming, if you will.

Neal

> Hi Dan. Your mention of noisy neighbors got me to thinking about=20
> something. Every night my roommate and I have to put up with this
too.=20
> Actually I am quite used to it from living with noisy au pairs and=20
> their friends and such.
> But my roommate absolutely can't stand it. The apartment up above us
is=20
> home to a mother and two of her sons, although one is away at
college most

> of the time and the third son lives in downtown Chicago. At night
when=20
> all

> three or even two of them are home, they like to wrestle. My
roommate=20
> has
> at times taken it upon himself to go up and pound on their door, and
very=20
> rudely tell them to please tone it down or cut it out. But I swear
every=20
> time he does this, I can't hear him because my door is shut. I think
he's=20
> rather unpopular now since he is so mean to them. They aren't even
that=20
> loud, at least I don't think they are. It just sounds loud because
they're

> so close by. But they're a very nice family.
> BTW, the technicians who were out here said that our server problems

> were
> caused by the weather.
> Jake
> ----- Original Message -----=20

--=20
12/13/2005

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 16:31:59 -0500
From: The Scarlet Wombat <coconut@xxxxxxx>

Bill, the difference is that when you go outside, you are in a public space
and your privacy is very limited.  Historically, the Supreme Court has held
that the privacy of the home is much stronger.  Recording from inside your
home of something on the street might be legal, emphasis on the might, but
recording another home's sounds from inside your home in many states will
be illegal, no matter how ridiculous the law may seem.

Sorry about that.

Dan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 16:33:41 -0500
From: The Scarlet Wombat <coconut@xxxxxxx>

Neal, that may have been the difference.  Also, many laws about this
privacy thing and recording are fairly new, many within the last ten years
or even newer.

Dan

------------------------------

From: "Don Ball" <dball10@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 16:36:43 -0500

Man I hate you all are having problems with you send it. I have sent whole
cd immages with no problem Maybe you need an upload connection that doesn't
time out. I am using bellsouth DSL extreme and it works fine. They are
comming out with extreme 6 but it is not available in my area.

From: "Don Ball" <dball10@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 16:49:47 -0500

well don't rule out total recorder. If you do not have the money for studio
recorder total record is still a good alternative. And you can scan through
a file and set zones for copy move and deleteing  of selections. when I need
to edit the file I use total recorder. I use gold wave for adding effects
and file conversions. Both make a good combination.

From: "synthiagreenwell@xxxxxxxx" <synthiagreenwell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 22:22:11 GMT
Subject: [bct] I figured out wave pad!

When I wrote my original inquiry about wavepad I had grown quite frustra=
ted with it and needed to take a break. However, I decided to fiddle wit=
h it later and I figured out how to select segments of audio and delete =
using the delete key on the 6 pack and resave the file in a compatible f=
ormat. So its pretty cool. Today I downloaded an mp3 encoder from the we=
b site to stick on my laptop at home. There was something I read on toda=
y's bct digest I wanted to comment on but I have no idea what it was now=
. Oh well. I'm done rambling now. =

Synthia M. Greenwell =

Program Coordinator, =

20/200 Fellowship, Inc. =

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 17:30:41 -0500
From: Scott Howell <s.howell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bct] Re: Amazing Amanda

Yes, I have to agree, but I got to laughing. I have a friend and her
name is Amanda. She's young, very good looking, and man the hair on
that girl, lord its nearly to her waste and when I heard the podcast
of this Amazing Amanda, I thought I might just send my friend the
podcast. I think she'd find it rather humours. Oh yeah don't tell my
wife I said Amanda is good looking, she's liable to take my K2 away
from me. Oh K2 Ham radio.

------------------------------

From: "jeff" <j1armstrong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bct] question for Hope.
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 17:13:48 -0600

Hope,

    I liked your podcast and especially your music.  I, too, am a musician.
I tinker with the piano and actually play the guitar and trumpet.  Being the

good neighbor I am, I don't practice the trumpet very often, I have little
use for that talent these days.

    Anyway, I have a friend who also was born prematurely and has vision
loss as a result.  Is it ROP?  Well, it was still RLP when I was a kid.  So,

my friend, Amber, would really get a lot out of talking to someone else who
deals with the situation.  There seems to be more to being born that early
than one might think.  She seems to be easily overwhelmed by stimulation
like loud sounds and so on.  If I got her permission, could I give you her
email address or her, yours?  She is 23 years old and lives over in
Minneapolis and is a really sweet girl.  Anyway, I know it may sound funny
but she has questions about that kind of thing and I have no answers.  We do

talk and get along well but I am 42 years old and we don't exactly share
similar life experiences.  She seems more like a daughter to me since mine
is 20 years old.  Well, I'm rambling.  Just thought you two would enjoy
meeting each other.  Let me know what you think, and then if you think so,
I'll connect you two.  She won't join our maillist because she doesn't want
to deal with so many emails as it generates, but I'll ask her again to
connect that way.  Now, I'll ask a possibly stupid question, what would one
use the music therapy to treat?  Would it be for autism or something like
that, or maybe stress?  It sounds interesting.  Do you teach others to play?

Have you ever considered a career as a music teacher? Just a thought.  Well,

I will end for now.

Jeff Armstrong
Jeff Armstrong,

------------------------------

From: "Shane Jackson" <jack728@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bct] Re: question for Hope.
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 17:17:36 -0600

Hey there, Jeff.  I'm certainly not Hope, but I couldn't help writing back
to you.  I must tell you that it's so good to see another trumpet player on
the list.  I haven't really practiced that much since high-school, but I
still get the old horn out and tinker with it every now and then.  It's
still in pretty good condition after almost twenty-two years!  Anyway, glad
to hear that you play the same instrument I do!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 15:32:20 -0800
From: "Lois Goodine" <al419@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Yes Mary,  I was a tomboy.  But considering our lack of visual input, it's
really quite reasonable.  I loved silly putty and that sort of thing.  The
messier, the better.  I haven't looked at that book about making those
things.
But I might someday.  I loved my cats and dogs.  There was a cat who would
allow
me to put her in my little red wagon and ride her about.  And we had a
medium
sized black dog who lived to be 18 years old.  Perky would drink from my
little
dishes.  While I didn't care much for dolls, I liked dishes and things and
would
play house with the animals and my imaginary people.  If something came in a
very big cardboard box, I had a blast with the box for a few days.  I would
make a house out of it using confiscated blankets and towels.  the animals
and I
would  play in it and eat and drink from my little dishes.  Sometimes I was
an
indian and the box was a teepee.  I think I was Taunto or something like
that.
I don't remember for sure; but I was a Lone Ranger fan.  They still play
those
old radio programs on XM satellite radio.  By the way, that Twilight Zone
program about that creepy talking doll  was played just the other day.  I
also
liked Dimension X.  And when very young, it was Flash Gordon.  Crazy!  But
the
kid is still there.  It wants and gets out once in awhile.
Lois

------------------------------

From: "Curt" <catucker24@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 19:20:00 -0600

Hope,

I too enjoyed your cast and your song was wonderful you have a great
voice.  Some neighbors can really be a nuisance,  Everyone needs to
ventilate sometimes. I know it is easier said than done, but try to not
let those neighbors get to you, and keep a positive attitude.
Curt

------------------------------

From: "Curt" <catucker24@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 19:48:37 -0600

Chris,

Do you have the subscription to FreedomBox?  Did the Freedom Key work on
the LapTop?   Does it work on other computers and does it have screen
reader features like Jaws?
Curt

From: "Jake Joehl" <jajoehl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 20:18:29 -0600

Curt that is excellent advice. That's what I do with my upstairs neighbors.
Jake

------------------------------

From: "Lynnette" <superlynne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 21:55:57 -0500

Hi Hope,
First, I wanted to say that we really enjoyed your life-cast and eagerly
await the next installment--and we quite enjoyed your music as well.  Where
can we purchase your CD?.
Next, I'll definitely try Mary's mixing suggestion and I'll also listen to
the Mix, Mix, Mix podcast.

Maria also possesses a beautiful singing voice and we've done quite a few
duets in concert.  In fact, we just got in from completing our humpteenth
annual holiday recital.  We're members of a vocal ensemble and if any of it
sounds decent, I'll post it in an appropriate podcast.  Eerie thing.  I
recited the poetry to one of the pieces.  I learned just about an hour and
ahalf before the performance that the poet was a woman who died when she was
only 43.  Hey, I'm 43!  Gave me the shivers there for a moment.

Thank you for your compliment about my voice.  Sometimes I think it's so
mellow, it makes my students sleepy, but...<grin>

Now, if you'd really like to hear the country side of me, which is long
dormant, you can check out the end of the Potpourri podcast where I perform
one of my own songs called I'd Rather Be.

Best to you,,

From: "Lynnette" <superlynne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 21:59:18 -0500

Hi Don,
You took the writing right out of my fingers.  I was going to suggest Total
Recorder.  I use that program as well.
Lynnette

From: "Lynnette" <superlynne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 22:00:11 -0500

Also, I don't know if you heard, but I quite enjoyed your Christmas Parade
podcast and hope your tooth is better.  <smile>
Lynnette

From: "Hope" <musicofhope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 23:48:44 -0500

Hi Jeff.
Most definitely you can give Amber  my email address.  I would be more than
happy to talk to her, as I'm sure some of our experiences have a bit of a
commonality to them, and she's around my age; I'm 25, but then I guess you
could do the math couldn't you?  <grin>
As for my wish to be a music therapist, actually, I have always liked the
idea of music as a tool for healing, and I enjoy very much the thought that
perhaps I could be a part of that whole community.  It's used for many
different things, some music therapists go to nursing homes and independent
living centers and use music as a way to, if not communicate with some that,

might not be able to communicate in any other way, such as people with
alzheimers disease, or some other unfortunate condition.  It could also,
perhaps, spark some happy memories for those that, maybe, are alone, or at
least feel alone in the world, because a particular piece reminded them of a

past time in their lives that was special to them.  It is also used in
hospitals in a more clinical atmosphere, for children, and, like you said,
autism, even some cancer patients.  The uses and possibilities are really
limitless.  Since Jamie Pauls is the music therapist here, he could probably

give you a better, and more accurate description of what it is, but I hope
that gave you some idea of what I wish to use it for, to help people, to
possibly make things just a bit better for someone, that sort of thing
I've never formally given someone piano lessons, but I have had the fun of
teaching my little cousins how to play easy fun things like Mary Had A
Little Lamb and Row Row Row Your Boat, and it's great when those little
faces light up because they can play a song they know by heart, so then they

have to show their new skills off.  That is really rewarding for me.  I've
never pursued the music teaching career, though I had thought of it a time
or two. Now that you've mentioned it I'll start thinking about it, and,
perhaps see about possibly taking some classes designed for teaching, since
you really can't be hired without an official degree.  Unfortunately.
Ok, now I'm the one rambling, so I'll end this  before I end up writing a
novel.  Thanks for your interest,and I'll look forward to chatting with
Amber.

All the best,
Hope
P.S.  How long have you played?  Do you write your own music?

------------------------------

From: "Hope" <musicofhope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 23:54:04 -0500

Thank you very much for those kind words Curt.  My mantre since they've
moved in is simply: "This too shall pass ..."  I just have to keep telling
myself that one day it won't be this way, and life will resume as usual.
One of two things will happen, either I'll get so used to it that I won't
even notice it anymore, or miracle of miracles, they'll quiet down a few
decibles.  Either way, I've not completely gone insane yet so the world is
still safe.  <grin>

------------------------------

From: "Hope" <musicofhope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 00:04:56 -0500

Hi Lynnette and Maria,
I'm glad you enjoyed the life cast, scattered though it was.  I'll try to do
a better job or organizing my thoughts next time.
Lynnette, your song is beautifully haunting.  That should be released
because I think it would be a huge hit!  Just my opinion though.  Anyway, my
cd is not exactly commercially available, at least not in your typical store
setting, however I have some copies in my possession.  If you'd like to
email me off list a place to send you a copy, my email address is
musicofhope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I could also send you a zip file containing the songs via yousendit.com, if
that would be easier and if you'd feel better doing it that way.  Either way
is fine with me.

The best to you both,
Hope

          I'm in editing heaven.  Wow!  I downloaded the Studio Recorder
beta and I'm really enjoying the process.  It's magnificent not to have to
see anything
          More to come!
          Lynnette

12/13/2005