[bct] Re: trying to start a podcast

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 09:23:15 -0800

Megan,
Here are just a few thoughts off the top of my head for what they're worth.

I started out with Ourmedia and Archive, and Feedburner, but it's really a difficult way to go. It's free, but the how-to part of it is really challenging to say the least. A much easier way to go would be to use Libsyn.com instead, because they take care of all the details; you sign up with them and then upload your podcasts to the site. The challenge with them is two fold: one, you have to use Paypal to pay for the use of their service, and two, you do have to pay; the smallest amount is 5 dollars a month for 100 meg of storage. I started out bigget and then decided to reduce to the ten dollars a month plan which gives you 250 meg of storage a month which seems to be about right for me. Pay Pal is a bit of a nuisance to sign up for if you don't have an account already. I wish Libsyn would let you use a credit card instead. Maybe they will at some point, but for now it's a pain to deal with Paypal since you have to fill in all sorts of stuff and validate your bank account with them and a couple other things.

I know this isn't too much help except to say that ourmedia is sort of the longest way around, and there are other ways out there. You could, of course, submit a few podcasts to blind cool tech, which is how i started out; that way, you get some experience, and you definitely get all of us as an audience! And, best of all, it's free. Once you're familiar with how a podcast is uploaded and the general process, then you could start your own.

Mary