[bct] Re: thoughts on blind people meeting other blind people

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 05:05:44 -0800

Thanks for your post to the list, which was well written and thought provoking. I experienced prejudice in junior and senior high school, to the extent that some of my teachers, who were supposed to know better, spread rumors that I was "retarded" and most of the students believed them. My music teacher, for example, was one of the worst, and during a gathering of four or five school choruses, told the other music instructors of my supposed "retardation" when he was standing ten feet away from me. So, if any students out there experience this sort of thing, be assured that you can get past the prejudice and work beyond it and become whatever you choose; it doesn't have to limit what you do in life.