[bct] Re: thoughts on blind people meeting other blind people

  • From: "Grant Hardy" <granthardy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 21:07:06 -0800

Hi Mary,

I can't say I'm in your situation, as I'm still going through the tiresome routine of high school. However, I do agree wholeheartedly that there is indeed a lack of courtesy in our society. People talk behind their hands as I pass; spread false rumors to others (for example, I know of a science teacher who consistently tells her classes that blind people need modified, one-level houses); and when it comes to meeting blind people, I do find that people go out of their way to put us in touch with other blind people they happen to know, whether they live halfway across the country or have absolutely none of the same interests. I do find that society likes to group blind people together, and acts as if we're a different species.

I want to agree with you, too, about blind people who feel sorry for themselves. I know a blind person who has an attitude about just about everything -- for example, they get upset whenever there's a stray car enroute that they have to go around, and instead of doing so quietly, they make a huge scene of themselves -- crying out in pain upon hitting the car, sometimes dropping to the ground, all this to make people feel sorry for them. I find this especially unfair to the rest of the blind people who are thought of as a minority as it is.

Wow, I don't usually write such "whiny" posts, but all this to say that you're not old-fashioned at all in your beliefs and I am in 100% agreement with everything you've said.