[bct] thoughts on blind people meeting other blind people

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 18:44:31 -0800

Hi all,

I wonder if any of you have any thoughts on the following scenario:

I've had a couple instances where I have been walking home from the bus stop,
minding my own business, and somebody has stopped their car beside me, usually
a teen ager, and honked his horn in my face and yelled, "Where are you going!"
I came to find out later that he had a blind passenger in the car with him and
they wanted me to meet this individual because she was blind. I'd had a very
trying day and was in absolutely no mood to deal with people who did not have
the common courtesy to say politely, "Excuse me, ma'am" and then proceed with
their request.

I have also lived in places where a blind young person moved in and thought I
should talk to them because they were blind, but there was just no time for it;
my schedule was hectic, and their day consisted of sitting outside their door,
listening to what I call "jungle music" and talking to their boy friend. True,
I suppose I should have stopped to say something, but I really had nothing to
say because they had no interests similar to mine, and my friends said the
individuals involved had attitude problems, wanting everyone to feel sorry for
them due to their blindness.

I suppose in the interest of common courtesy I should have stopped and said
something, but I did not. These days, having retired, I am still not sure if I
would do much beyond saying hello if I were in a similar situation; my life is
not hectic, but when these things happened, I definitely was working more than
55 hours a week, plus had church obligations, plus paying my bills and doing
the usual household stuff and shopping stuff, and the days were so busy.

I think the whole point of this is not so much the blindness thing although
that's part of it, but I really object to the lack of courtesy in our society.
It has degenerated to the point that it is very rare these days for anyone to
politely introduce themselves or be respectful in other ways, such as thanking
someone for help. I suppose this is a bit old-fashioned and I guess you could
call me that if you like, but there is such a lack of politeness, and I suspect
it contributes to the increased unrest going on in this world.

Ok, I've spoken up; I wonder what others' experiences and thoughts are about

And thanks in advance.