[bct] test message and warning

  • From: <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bct" <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 15:37:39 -0800

Hi list,

Hopefully this list is still working. I got a rather strange e-mail with a word
in it that causes previous versions of Jaws, and Jaws 7 also, to break if you
don't get into dictionary manager and replace it with a substitute word; I
chose the word "junk" without the quotes. Since I have braille, I was able to
turn speech off and catch the bad e-mail. I hope I was the only one to receive
such a nasty trick. It came from somebody on speakeasy.com if I recall
correctly; but I think it went to my junk folder so I doubt I have it any more.
But it had the offending word at least twice in the subject line. It is seven
letters and I can spell it with commas in between the letters. Whatever you do,
do not, repeat, do not let Jaws pronounce it without commas. As long as there
are spaces or punctuation, preferably both, when Jaws is reading, you're ok.
It is:

c, a, e, s, u, r, e

This created a commotion with the blind people in IBM when we found out about
it a yeear ago; it was like a virus specifically for Jaws users. I thought it
had been fixed, but it broke Jaws 7 right after I saw the word in braille.

By all means, go into dictionary manager, push enter on add, type the word
without commas or spaces, without proof reading it, tab till you see
"substitute word" or some such item, type the word junk or something else, and
then I think there is an OK button to press, and it will ask if you want to
confirm the change; press enter on yes, and then when it goes back to the add
box to add another word, press alt and F4 to get out.

Dictionary manager is a couple items below the configuration manager in the
utilities menu.

 Mary Emerson
E-mail: maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Skype name: mkemerson