[bct] Re: tallent show and question re podcasting

  • From: The Scarlet Wombat <coconut@xxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 06:33:25 -0500

Hi Nadia, the principal problem with recording outside is wind, even a very small breeze will affect the mike and cause rumbles and other wind sounds. Wind screens are hit and miss for microphones. Some are very good and others keep the wind out, but keep out the high frequences, as well. For example, my Rode nt4 single point xy stereo mike has a very good wind screen in terms of keeping wind out, but it really mutes high frequences which destroys good recording quality. I understand from Neal the single point stereo mike by Audio TTeknika, the AT822, has a much better wind screen.

There are even devices you can place your microphone in, enclosures if you will, that protect it from the wind and let all the sound in. Neal may comment on this.

You may find that a dynamic microphone is a bit less prone to wind noise than a condenser mike, and that a small diaphragm mike is less sensitive in this respect than a large diaphragm one, but only experimentation will reveal the truth for you.

I will look forward to hearing the Tasmanian Devil.