[bct] talking tactile tablet podcast

  • From: <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bct" <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 00:21:38 -0800

Lynnette and everyone,

That was very interesting and certainly has a lot of possibilities for use, not
only in education but also in a lot of other practical areas, such as mobility
and PC navigation, and even learning braille or describing pictures in a book.
I could imagine, in the future, something like this being placed in a nonochip
and placed on book pages, so the reader can touch part of the text and get a
sound or smell or even a hologram to add another dimension to the book, but
this is way off in the future of course.

I admit that for a lot of demo podcasts, I tend to skip through them rather
quickly. I guess it's because I am so accustomed to just grabbing something and
picking it up and diving right in. I had to do that so often that I guess it's
second nature. For example, when I had to learn Lotus Notes, which was the
e-mail and data base program I used for many years, there was no training
available, so you either sank or you swam, and if you didn't swim, you didn't
get your job done and eventually you got laid off. Fortunately, most blind
people don't have that sort of pressure, so they can take the time to learn
slowly and very thoroughly. Also, the demo podcasts on BCT are suited to both
learning styles--the slow, easy going style, and the frantic, do it now, fast
style.

Mary