[bct] tactile graphics

  • From: <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bct" <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 05:40:47 -0800

Larry and everyone,

That's a terrific podcast! I love tactil graphics. I used to go through all the
APH textbooks looking for the pictures. I loved those maps that showed
population density; kind of reminded me of kids on a play ground, with a lot of
them bunched together, then the adventurers off in the corners by themselves.

National Braille Press has produced some wonderful graphics books, a few on
astronomy and a few children's books. I buy them all because the pictures are
so much fun to look at! My favorite pictures are of the nebula, and the spiral
galaxies. It almost gives you a concept of what visual images are.

Another really fun approach is one in the series called So What About Drawing,
produced by the Guild for the Blind in Chicago. I hope they are still being
sold. The idea is to take the shape of braille characters and use those shapes
to make pictures. For example, to make curves or circles, you use dots 2, 3, 4,
or dots 1, 2, 6, or 3, 4, 5, or 1, 5, 6, and connect them all with straight
lines. One of the most beautiful ones they have made is a drawing of five
Valentine's Day hearts inside each other. I always copied their drawings for
the holidays and put them on my office door, or on my apartment door. The
Christmas tree with holly leaves is really nice, as is the pumpkin. The
instructions aren't always accurate but the drawings are easy to copy if you
have good space concepts. They even have a couple drawings of animals from
different points of view; either a dog lying down, or sitting up looking right
at you. I've just gone crazy with this stuff and sighted people can even figure
out what the drawings are. You just put a piece of paper in the brailler and
copy the symbols in the proper places and you have a picture.

Horizons for the Blind has some nice thermoform pictures of flowers and holiday
themes that look three dimensional, similar to what was discussed in the BCT
interview. Those are fun to display too.