[bct] Re: stuff.

  • From: "Jake Joehl" <jajoehl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 12:09:27 -0600

Hi Jeff. Agreed. I went out to dinner on Sunday night with a sister who is also
blind and our parents. We went to one of our favorite hot spots, because the
power had gone out at my folks' house. The wait staff at this chain are
always very attentive, and the waitress we had over the weekend was no exception.
When she brought out our drinks and my soup, she told us when and where she
was setting them down. She also warned me that my soup was very hot, which
they frequently do. I've never asked a wait person to cut my food for me,
but I've heard that they'll be happy to do it. I guess the reason for me
never asking is that I've always been with someone who was willing to cut my
food if need be and butter my roll, or put the crackers in my soup. Also,
all the wait staff I've ever experienced are always so busy preparing
customers' orders, and I would kind of feel bad if my wait person had to do
extra work. This isn't to say that I will never avoid asking a wait person to
cut my meat, etc. Last night I ordered an entree that didn't need to be cut
up, but not because I wasn't willing to ask someone to cut it for me. I
could cut my dessert because it was a soft cake. When inquiring about the
placement of food and drinks, I like to use the clock system. This has
caught on very quickly with everyone in my apartment building. One thing I
absolutely dislike is when wait staff talk very loudly to us because they
think we can't hear them. This has happened to me a couple times. I also don't like it when someone sitting with me is asked, "What does he want?" or "Is he ready to order?" Fortunately this hasn't happened to me that much. I can understand the occasional slip, such as when my father told our waitress over the weekend what I wanted.
Jake
Jake
----- Original Message ----- From: "jeff" <j1armstrong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>