[bct] Re: street crossings

  • From: "Marsha Macchi" <marshamac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 15:17:52 -0800

Hi, Marsha here.  I can well understand your fear of crossing streets but
from one who has been through the ultimate--a wing banger of a traffic
whack, I can tell you that you even get through that.  I was walking across
a street when a very inebriated driver whacked me and my guide dog, my first
one.  I was hung up in traction for almost 3 months and was in at least 2
weeks of acute walking rehab, I was on my own as far as practicing that not
always so fun art of putting one foot in front of the other.  I wanted my
dog back in the worst way.  He was injured in that accident with his nose
almost completely cut to ribbons.  Even through all of this, he and I both
made it.  I am not giving this out to brag but to hopefully say that you can
make it through this fear.  You should learn the tools of getting around if
you haven't done so already.  Once you use those tools and learn and
practice them, you gain confidence.  I am here to tell you there is life
after being banged royally.