[bct] Re: street crossings

  • From: "Jake Joehl" <jajoehl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 13:34:34 -0600

You said it better than I could've said it Tim. I moved into this apartment
a little over a year ago, and I have not yet had any formal
orientation&mobility instruction. This is a very busy area of town,
especially right now with tons of construction going on.. My first life
skills tutor, who was fully sighted and had never worked with a
visually-impaired person before coming to work at this agency, spent a great
deal of time going on walks outdoors with me and having me use my cane. She
would point out obstacles in the way, and she told me about directional
cues. She has since left the agency to spend more time with her husband and
their two toddlers, and I am now working with a different life skills tutor. She has also been very good about taking me on walks, but recently her mom went into a rehab facility so I've not been getting out as much. When I do get out of my apartment it is only with someone sighted, and I am usually walking sighted guide with them and using my cane only where we both know I will be safe. I have some cab vouchers that were filled out, but I haven't been able to use them yet. I'm hoping to take my roommate out this week to a Thai place, and hopefully then I can use some of the vouchers. But his night vision isn't so good, so we have to try and squeeze it in during the day sometime.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Cross" <tcross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>