[bct] stereo microphone recommendation

  • From: Stephen Clower <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Ray Foret Jr." <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 08:16:56 -0600

I am also wondering if there are any high quality single-point stero
mic solutions available? Right now, when I record live music, I take
my set of stereo mics and clip each to the top left and right corners
of a music stand with the stand facing away from me at a 70 degree
angle. This works, but in such situations it would be much quicker to
whip out a single microphone to do the job. The imaging on the Sony
mics is ok, but the frequency response and dynamic range just aren't
designed for loud music but for voice recording. I love the imaging on
my Audiotechnica ATR25, but again the frequency response and handling
noise are real problems. This particular microphone is rated at 100 to
18,000 HZ, which again is great for recording human speech but not so
good for music.