[bct] Re: speech preferences

  • From: "Neal Ewers" <ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 11:36:55 -0600

I often do web page and other demos at Trace and at conferences using
speech.  Of course, I have to slow it down for the rest of the world to
hear it.  I'm amazed at how clumsy I can become if I'm not careful.  I
am so used to how long it takes to read certain things with the 700
words per minute I use that when I am at 160 words per minute, I often
press the next key long before the speech has read all it is supposed to
read in the current element.

You're right about pushing the envelope.  That's at least how I did it.
And that reminds me.  Someone with a lot of speech synthesizers should
do a podcast on using them and how differently they sound.  I thought I
would always hate the bookport speech, but I have gotten very used to it
and I am not sure I would now want to read books with Eloquence.  But,
it would be interesting to see if someone who has a bunch of them could
do a show.  The other thing we could could do is to pick a paragraph and
a reading speed and people who had different synthesizers could submit a
recording of their synthesizer reading that particular paragraph.  That
way, the material would always be the same and one person would not have
to have a dozen speech synthesizers.

Any thoughts?

Neal