[bct] Re: routers

  • From: "jeff" <j1armstrong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 15:11:03 -0600

Mary and all,

I use a Linksys wrt54g and have had no problems with it and found it easy to setup and work with, the firmware includes help information on each setting with a description of the purpose and choices involved in each.

I had a weird experience where my telephone calls sounded really bad and there was always static on the line and other audio effects. We replaced all the audio filters which one has to install when using DSL over your main phone line. This did not help. Eventually, after having the telephone company come out and replace their hardware and rebuild the connections to the house we were left with the only piece of hardware that had not been replaced and it was the ADSL modem. Once I convinced EarthLink to give it a shot, all problems were immediately cured. To get it for free, I had to pay shipping and agree to another year with EarthLink which is a gamble when one considers that all their tech support is handled from India and the Philippines these days, a practice that I despise.

Jeff Armstrong