[bct] Re: recording live concerts

  • From: "derek Lane" <derek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 17:42:50 -0500

Their is always the ghetto solution of using a headphone volume control to regulate input.
In other words, if you have an old set of headphones that have a slider or knob on the cable itself, allowing you to change the volume without actually touching the source, and that set is broken, chances are it's either the plug or the internal wiring in the headphones which caused their death.
This, in theory means that one could cut the cable off of the headphones, and then attach a stereo female plug to the loose end of the cable.
Then, by connecting the mics to the female plug, the output of the mics could be controlled before hitting the preamp.
Their is a 50/50 chance of this working, though, because if the mics are no longer getting the power they need from the recorder, that could have some negative effects on the quality of the incoming signal.
However, if you want, you could always give it a shot.
Nothing would be damaged, worse case is that you would have rendered the head phones completely useless; but if they are practically dead anyway... no harm done.

btw, I read about some one doing this on a minidisc recorder forum, so this idea has worked for some one some where.