[bct] Re: raising a puppy

  • From: Scott Howell <s.howell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 06:50:29 -0500

Hello Lisa, yes these are the very things I had already considered and you are one hundred percent on the money. You don't always have to correct accept to say an appropriate word for the chewing and in the next breath give them a toy. I imagine if its pointed out that this is their toy and its all they can play with, you'll hsave a load of shoes, furnature, and so forth. There are a lot of books on the topic, but I guess I'll take suggestions as well, but I'd better get that Book Share membership going.grin I hadn't gotten to it yet, but really should.
Keeping the dog tied to you at all times in the beginning or crated is the absolutely best idea ever. It really builds the bond and my wife and I will take turns with this so the dog knows it can be with me or her and my other dog and we'll avoid the dog developing protective behaviors toward one person. This is one minor problem one has to keep in mind with a GSD.

On Feb 18, 2006, at 8:00 PM, Lisa Salinger wrote:

Hi Scott,
My experience is a bit different, so your mileage may vary. I'm working with my third guide, all of whom have been labs. The first two were from schools, and my current dog was owner trained. I got her when she was eight months old, but she had no training at all, so essentially, I was starting from scratch with her. There are lots of good books which you can get through NLS or Bookshare. Even if you don't agree with the philosophies of some, there are always things that can be learned.
Here are some random thoughts that helped me. Have your dog on leash with you or in a crate at all times. If he's running free, he can chew things or have accidents you won't be aware of. He can have more freedoms as he gets a bit older. Be sure to look for what I'll call optimistic options. For example, if the pup begins to chew on shoes or furniture, it would be better to trade and give him a bone or toy to chew instead of correcting him and telling him no. This way, he will learn what is appropriate to chew. Another example happened whenever I would accidentally drop something. Immediately, my dog's mouth would be on it. Instead of correcting her, I praised her and gave her a small food reward or something else to play with. This was the beginning of teaching a reliable retrieve. Hope this helps and makes sense.

Lisa Salinger
Renee, Retired Guide and
Joie, Guide/SD