[bct] Re: raising a puppy

  • From: "Lisa Salinger" <lisasali@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 20:00:04 -0500

Hi Scott,
My experience is a bit different, so your mileage may vary. I'm working with my third guide, all of whom have been labs. The first two were from schools, and my current dog was owner trained. I got her when she was eight months old, but she had no training at all, so essentially, I was starting from scratch with her. There are lots of good books which you can get through NLS or Bookshare. Even if you don't agree with the philosophies of some, there are always things that can be learned.
Here are some random thoughts that helped me. Have your dog on leash with you or in a crate at all times. If he's running free, he can chew things or have accidents you won't be aware of. He can have more freedoms as he gets a bit older. Be sure to look for what I'll call optimistic options. For example, if the pup begins to chew on shoes or furniture, it would be better to trade and give him a bone or toy to chew instead of correcting him and telling him no. This way, he will learn what is appropriate to chew. Another example happened whenever I would accidentally drop something. Immediately, my dog's mouth would be on it. Instead of correcting her, I praised her and gave her a small food reward or something else to play with. This was the beginning of teaching a reliable retrieve. Hope this helps and makes sense.

Lisa Salinger
Renee, Retired Guide and
Joie, Guide/SD