[bct] raising a puppy

  • From: Scott Howell <s.howell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 19:29:00 -0500

Hello good people,

After loosing my last guide who had been retired for 2 years or nearly so, my wife and I have decided to adopt a dog. The main reason is she really wants a dog to keep her company during the day, but also so my current guide will have someone more like himself to play with. I don't mind tossing the ball about, but lying with him to chew a bone is hell on the teeth.
In any case so far most the dogs from rescues we've considered have had this or that issue and I'm not really interested in dealing with some of them. It so happens a cousin of mine has a lead on a nine- week old GSD that the people just don't have the time to give him. If we decide to take him, I've never raise a dog that age. Does anyone have any suggestions or books I could get my hands on to educate myself on puppies? I have some idea as to what needs doing, but I really want to do right by him and turn him into a top notch dog. If you want to reply off list to save on bandwidth, you can e-mail me at s.howell@xxxxxxxxxxxx