[bct] Re: radio stations, general comments

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 14:47:04 -0800

Dan, Christian and everyone,

That's a cute story! Reminds me of the one about Earth's first contact with aliens; there were three rooms that led into one another; the humans were in one room on the left, the aliens in the room on the right, and they met in the middle room. They asked each other if there was an answer to war, an answer to population, an answer to pollution, and after each told the other "no", one sighed and said, "Well, I guess that's all we wanted to know", the other agreed, and they went back to their respective rooms and left without looking back.

Not so cute as yours, but food for thought, nonetheless.

I recall having a shortwave receiver for a while and being able to pick up Radio Moscow occasionally; it sounded like the broadcasts were being read by some poor soul who sounded desperate to do it right or somebody might shoot him on the spot! Let's hope things are a bit calmer now, and less dogmatic. The other extreme was Radio Japan which, in my brief experience, was quite lovely. You never knew what you'd hear from one day to the next.

Christian's comments about police radio being illegal is interesting. I went through a phase where I had a scanner for a while and I'd tune in to the police and emergency channels here; it got to be a bit too unnerving, shall we say, so I quit listening to that. Not very pleasant listening when you live in a city. Scanners are legal in the USA and I would imagine quite handy if you live in smaller towns or in isolated areas.

I had thought of XM but am not sure I'd use it enough to justify the expense to pay for its use. As you say, since it's mostly rock and sports I doubt I'd use it at all. Some of our local stations broadcast on the web, as do many stations around the world, and there are tuners built into Microsoft products as well as web sites where you can listen to just about anything.

There are even a few folk music stations around; that is good news for a folk music collector like me. It's hard keeping up with it, since it doesn't fit into any particular slot in the standard list of categories.