[bct] Re: radio stations, general comments

  • From: Megan Kelly <mek55@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 16:04:48 -0500

that language station sounds really great; I wish they still had it!

At 01:08 PM 1/8/2006, you wrote:
Hi all,

This doesn't have a thing to do with Internet radio, which I think is a wonderful idea, but I had a couple thoughts about radio in general; just tossing them out for fun. I do wish your friend success in starting an Internet station; I don't know a thing about it though.

I guess radio has so many aspects that it's hard to pin down what is good or not so good listening these days.

My age is probably showing, but I have been a fan of news radio for years and still favor the local CBS affiliate in San Francisco. A lot of AM stations here are foreign languatge, mostly Spanish, and mostly playing the same type of music, so I wonder how they can compete, let alone stay in business. As far as I can tell, FM is mostly rock of some type or other. The variety is definitely gone, which is a shame. As a child, decades ago, the left end of the AM dial had the stronger network stations, and then things got more crowded, with a variety ranging from easy listening to three rock stations to one or two country, a couple soul music stations, and one foreign language station which was quite unique; it had an hour of one language, then another hour of another language, and it rotated over a 24 hour period. I loved it as a small child because I could learn quickly what various languages sounded like; they had everything from Greek to Japanese to Portuguese and maybe some Korean, and definitely some Mandarin in there too, plus the usual Spanish. FM wasn't as well known, but in the late 1960s when I started paying attention to it, there was everything from classical to music to poetry readings; all sorts of things that you just didn't hear on AM.

I probably started a Pandora's box about radio, but would love to know about radio in other parts of the country and the world.