[bct] Re: radio and thermostat.

  • From: jeff <j1armstrong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 22:27:10 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

Neal and everyone,

    Perhaps Wisconsin public radio should borrow some cash from Minnesota
public radio.  Within the last several years they have purchased a new
building for themselves, purchased a new station to play classic music, and
another one to play "alternative" music.  This gives them 3 FM stations and
1 AM station in my area.  The president of the MPR interrupted programming
to talk about how much money they need to continue.  He included the fact
that it is vital that they digitize their archives this year and they'll
need x amount extra for that project.  I guess if they wouldn't cry poor all
the time, I wouldn't object to an honest fund drive now and then.  What is
the percentage of funding from government sources anyway?  Don't get me
wrong, NPR, PRI, and our MPR provide some very top quality programming, but
why purchase and operate new stations while the original news/talk/info
station runs replays of already broadcast programs a significant portion of
the time? Saturday and Sunday are carbon copies of each other with some
programming moved around to make it seem different.   Why not improve the
real reason for having public radio to begin with.  There is no need for
public radio to include the support of music stations with the support of
the core station.  It should be separate and that way, anyone who wants an
"alternative" or classical station could donate to it as they see fit.  I
wouldn't necessarily support those ventures.  Of course, this is just my
opinion, I could be wrong... Jeff