[bct] Re: radio and thermostat.

  • From: "Bill Belew" <bill@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 10:47:04 -0800

Hi Neal and Jake,

I have always been a big supporter of NPR and I understand being annoyed
with pledge drives.  Our local network of stations used to call their drives
marathons and they became longer and longer to the point where one of the
last of that type lasted over a month.  They got some new staff and changed
their approach and they now limit the fund raising to 8 days in the Spring
and 8 days in the Fall.  They do a beautiful job and have developed one of
the most unique network of stations in the country.  They have to serve a
large area of small communities in a mountainous area requiring many
translators.  They broadcast three separate services that emphasize news and
information, news and a mix of rhythmic music, and news and classical music.

The public thinks that public radio gets a lot of funding from the
government (I have heard surveys where folks think over 50 percent is
government money), but the actual percentage is now quite low.

Who knows what the future holds for public radio or, for that matter, radio
in general because of the internet and podcasting, but for now I greatly
appreciate having public radio, since in my area there is nothing else but
Christian stations, right wing talk, and commercial filled top forty country
and rock.

Please excuse my ranting.

Bill