[bct] Re: question for Hope.

  • From: "Hope" <musicofhope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 23:48:44 -0500

Hi Jeff.
Most definitely you can give Amber my email address. I would be more than happy to talk to her, as I'm sure some of our experiences have a bit of a commonality to them, and she's around my age; I'm 25, but then I guess you could do the math couldn't you? <grin>
As for my wish to be a music therapist, actually, I have always liked the idea of music as a tool for healing, and I enjoy very much the thought that perhaps I could be a part of that whole community. It's used for many different things, some music therapists go to nursing homes and independent living centers and use music as a way to, if not communicate with some that, might not be able to communicate in any other way, such as people with alzheimers disease, or some other unfortunate condition. It could also, perhaps, spark some happy memories for those that, maybe, are alone, or at least feel alone in the world, because a particular piece reminded them of a past time in their lives that was special to them. It is also used in hospitals in a more clinical atmosphere, for children, and, like you said, autism, even some cancer patients. The uses and possibilities are really limitless. Since Jamie Pauls is the music therapist here, he could probably give you a better, and more accurate description of what it is, but I hope that gave you some idea of what I wish to use it for, to help people, to possibly make things just a bit better for someone, that sort of thing
I've never formally given someone piano lessons, but I have had the fun of teaching my little cousins how to play easy fun things like Mary Had A Little Lamb and Row Row Row Your Boat, and it's great when those little faces light up because they can play a song they know by heart, so then they have to show their new skills off. That is really rewarding for me. I've never pursued the music teaching career, though I had thought of it a time or two. Now that you've mentioned it I'll start thinking about it, and, perhaps see about possibly taking some classes designed for teaching, since you really can't be hired without an official degree. Unfortunately.
Ok, now I'm the one rambling, so I'll end this before I end up writing a novel. Thanks for your interest,and I'll look forward to chatting with Amber.

All the best,
P.S. How long have you played? Do you write your own music?
----- Original Message ----- From: "jeff" <j1armstrong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>