[bct] Re: public domain

  • From: The Scarlet Wombat <coconut@xxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 06:30:58 -0500

I have a hearty dislike for much of the copyright law. I site it regularly only to keep people out of trouble, not because I approve of it. Even the US Constitution gives Congress the power to regulate patents and copyrights, which means they can really do as they please.

The spirit of the law is to keep people from making a profit from another's intellectual property. This is fine, authors and artists need some protection, but so many instances are absurd it barely bears repeating. Using a piece of a song in a podcast in no way would deprive the artist of income, but it is still illegal. Photocopying a few pages from a book is technically illegal, so let's put all college students in prison? Such absurdity abounds in the legal system, but whether it is absurd or not, we must protect ourselves and others from running afoul of the laws.

Dan