[bct] Re: programming

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 21:48:37 -0800

You have an interesting background. I hope you can pursue your interests in accessibility. My programming experience was either in writing IBM product modules, such as commands, dump routines, or parts of language library routines, or (this was my favorite) ten years in main frame system support, setting up huge disk storage for product developers so they could test the products they were writing. I did a small bit of work helping to maintain my team's web site with very basic HTML, and wrote some system support code in REXX (a structured language like PL/I that runs under theVM operating system). In fact, some of the fun stuff involved automating our system support procedures to speed up our jobs so we could get more work done more quickly, and teaching the rest of my team how to use the code. I had fun getting so involved in nested loops that it was a major challenge debugging them! I wonder if anyone has played with some of that stuff and broken it since I left. I told them not to play with it too much or they'd have a fun time digging their way out! I documented, but most of us just don't read comments in code; it's easier just to read the code, especially if it's in assembly or REXX language and you just sail through it. We just never had time to read comments. By the way, I remember cutting my teeth on thousands of lines of product code that had no comments; it was in assembly language and had been passed around so much that nobody knew why it worked the way it did. I managed to add some new code to it though. I feel sorry for the poor soul who had to eventually translate that into a higher level language for a later release of the product! They probably had nightmares for months.

I consider that stage of my life finished and am glad to be away from it; these days I am glad somebody else is taking over, writing code when necessary, and I suppose a lot of my procedures have been modified, which is fine with me.
Thanks for sharing your background; it is really interesting finding out what programmers are doing these days. I suppose others on this list are completely snowed by now. Sorry folks, it's just too tempting to get into this kind of stuff sometimes. I guess it's time for hot chocolate again!