[bct] Re: problems with CD rom drive

  • From: Lukas Loehrer <listaddr1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 21:52:13 +0200

Unfortunately, The Sony rootkit is not the only copy protection scheme
that tries to manipulate your computer. Also, the copy protection does
not have to be a rootkit, at least not in the traditional sense.

With rootkit reviealers, you will only find copy protection schemes
that try to hide themselves by further manipulating the operating
system in such a way that the presence of the copy protection scheme
is not easily revealed. This may include hiding its own files or not
showing some of the processes that are running.

That said, it is certainly a good idea nowadays do not only use an
anti-virus and anti-spyware pgrogram, but also a root kit detection
tool. I believe that some anti-spyware programs already incorporate
such functionality. Unfortunately, because those malicious
copy-protection schemes are in fact malware produced by powerful multi
national companies like Sony, some manufactures of anti-spyware
programs might see themselves forced to look the other way, when they
detect such malware. We can really be glad that the people at
sysinternals made the information about the sony rootkit public.

Best regards, Lukas