[bct] Re: problems with CD rom drive

  • From: Lukas Loehrer <listaddr1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 15:56:25 +0200

Hi Missy,

one reason why cd ripping may not work under windows is that some copy
protected audio cd has manipulated your machine in such a way that
ripping is disabled. What they will do is as soon as you put in the
cd, they will try to install some modified drivers on your machine via
the windows audorun mechanism. Usually, they will tell you that for
this cd to work properly, some additional software was needed and ask
you to agree to some licence agreement. Sometimes, I think it is also
done quietly.

This is just a guess. Also, I am not sure how you can find out, if you
are affected by this. Maybe some anti-spyware program can detect the
changes. Maybe someone else has some more insight into this.

It is surely a good idea not to consume any media (audio cds or dvds)
as Administrator and disabling autorun altogether may be advisable
too.

As for combining small mp3 files into one, there is the program
mp3wrap that lets you do that. It is free and works from the command
line, but is easy to use.

http://mp3wrap.sourceforge.net
The direct download link for the windows version is:
http://ovh.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/mp3wrap/mp3wrap-0.5-win32.zip

Best regards, Lukas