[bct] poodles as guides

  • From: Pam Quinn <quinn.family@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 14:54:31 -0600

Hi Maria and list,

Not that many schools are training standard poodles yet but they are
becoming more popular.  I think it's mainly the miniatures and the
toys that are more high strung. Josef is my third Leader Dog. My first
was a shepherd-huskey, and my second a golden. Of the three, my
shepherd-huskey was the most high strung but she was a great worker.
I've been very fortunate in that they've all been excellent workers.

Josef is actually the tallest of any guide I've had, which I really
like. He's bigger than a lot of standards so is considered a Royal
Standard. He weighs around eighty pounds. As far as temperament, he is
awesome; very calm, well behaved and friendly. He is quite the cuddler
too and I must confess, we let him sleep with us. A real plus to
having a poodle is that they don't shed. They're also hypoallergenic,
so anybody who is allergic to dogs isn't bothered by a poodle. If
there is a drawback in that they don't shed, it would be that you have
the added expense of having them trimmed. I like to have Josef trimmed
at least every six weeks. This can be very expensive, but I found a
groomer here in town who will do it for $30. I get his hair cut all
one length, except that his face, feet, and the base of his tail are
shaved. Then he has a poof at the end of his tail (what there is of
it), a poof on the top of his head, and the hair on his ears is a
little longer.
Josef has a slower pace than my other dogs. I've heard it said that a
poodle works like a shepherd, minus the pull. I'd have to agree. They
are very careful, and quick to pick up routes and phrases.

Gosh, maybe I should have done a podcast about this.

Talk to you all soon.

Pam