[bct] Re: podiobooks

  • From: Lukas Loehrer <listaddr1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 17:59:36 +0200

Tim Cross writes ("[bct] Re: podiobooks"):
> I would second the point about problems likely to be due to the RSS
> feeds rather than juice/ipodder. WHile writing my own aggregator, I
> was quite surprised about the number of badly formed RSS feeds out
> there - in fact, so many I stopped parsing the RSS file as an XML file
> and now just do a (rather inefficient, but more reliable, regexp match
> for the enclosure tag and extract the url of the podcast from that.

I believe podracer does the same thing. I find it kind of amusing that
a simple format like RSS that is supposed to facilitate
interoperability gets so compilcated and cluttered that hardly anybody
seems to be able to produce feeds that work and thus peaople have to
resort to a kind of fancy grep to just filter out the URLs they are
actually interested in. And on top of that, companies add extencsions
for things like pictures while the fundamental problem of
unambiguously identifying the actual enclosures remains largely
unsolbed or specified existing solutions are not widely implemented.

I realize that RSS tries to solve more problems then just distribute
MP3 files but Maybe something like  a simple text file with a list of URLs
by their MD5 sums would have been a more practical solution for podcasting.

Cheers, Lukas