[bct] Re: podiobooks

  • From: Tim Cross <tcross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 08:49:48 +1100

I would second the point about problems likely to be due to the RSS
feeds rather than juice/ipodder. WHile writing my own aggregator, I
was quite surprised about the number of badly formed RSS feeds out
there - in fact, so many I stopped parsing the RSS file as an XML file
and now just do a (rather inefficient, but more reliable, regexp match
for the enclosure tag and extract the url of the podcast from that.

I have noticed on some 'dynamic' rss feed sites that the same podcast
will show up with a slightly different url. This is a problem for
programs like juice as it cannot tell the podcast itself is the same
(though it may be a good heuristic to track and match on the mp3
filename and size rather than the url).

Tim

Tim