[bct] Re: podcast request for Debee

  • From: Pam Quinn <quinn.family@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 08:25:30 -0600

Yes, I've heard that for some the sensory overload is too much to
handle. Don't know if this is true but I heard that a man in England
actually committed suicide because he just couldn't adapt; seems to me
a blindfold would have been a better solution, but whatever. I guess
one thing to consider too is that for a person whose sight was
restored by surgery, it would be impossible to convey to sighted
people exactly how they were perceiveing things, and for all anybody
would know, things could be severely distorted and never look at all
like they would to normally functioning eyes. I guess for that matter,
normally seeing people probably perceive colors and what not
differently from one another, just assuming that everybody sees a
given color the same. This really hit home when I started losing my
hearing and it became distorted. Much of the beauty and the richness
disappeared and if I held the phone for example to my bad ear, the
pitch of the dial tone was entirely different, on a different key than
it was if I listen with my good ear. If my hearing had always been
like that, I would have assumed that everybody heard in the same way
which of course isn't the case. Beauty really is in the ears of the
beholder as well.