[bct] Re: podcast request for Debee

  • From: "Ray Foret Jr." <rforetjr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 07:44:47 -0600

Indeed, it would be most interesting.  I once heard the story of a woman who
was congenitally blind, and thus, had never seen before.  One day, she
knocked her head on something in such a way that she suddenly got her eye
sight.  As I remember it, she was very much overwhelmed at first because she
perceived so many things all coming at her one after another and all at the
very same time.  The trick, as I seem to recall, was that she had to learn
consciously what to pay attention to and what to ignore.  In fact, at first,
it was so bad that she put sleep shades on just to go out because it was
just simply too much.  I don't know for sure, but, I think she adapted okay

    Here's another.  A woman, congenitally blind, got her site.  At first,
though, she didn't know the look of things; so, for instance, when she went
to get a drink of water, she reached in to her cabinet and felt for the cup
rather than using her eyes.  The reason?  She didn't know how to tell apart
one thing from another by sight.  These two stories would seem to suggest
that it's not quite the way most people might think it is.  It would appear
that it takes almost going back to the beginning just to tell one thing from
another.  I don't know if I'd want to do that.  That's why I too would be
very much interested in such a podcast as Pam is requesting.

Sincerely yours,
The Constantly Barefoot,
Home phone and fax:
Skype Name: