[bct] Re: podcast on the new Sony High MD recorder and transfer to PC

  • From: Krister Ekstrom <krister@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 12:28:03 +0100

Hi Ray,
I know this is partly off-topic for this particular thread, but i'll have to ask since curiosity got the better of me.:-) How is it with the automatic versus the manual controls of record level? The reason i abandoned Sony mini discs long ago in favour of sharp ones was that on the Sony machines you had to set manual rec level control on a per recording basis, that is, everytime you turned a recording off for some reason, you'd have to go into a cursed menu and turn manual recording on again. I hate to use the automagic gain control, because imho the limiter is set wrongly causing the sound to pump which i personally can't stand, so i want manual gain control.
/Krister

Ray Foret Jr. wrote:

Neal, you and I almost have exactly the same model of recorder. I use the Sony MZ-RH910 which is operationally exactly the very same unit. The only difference is that your unit comes with a six line luminescent display where as mine comes with a five line display which is not luminescent. The unit is easy to operate. One thing to remember is this. First, put the gum stick looking battery in the unit with the plus side facing outward. Then, close the little lid over the compartment. Now, to charge the unit, press and hold down the stop/cancel key for two seconds. That is the key right next to the special role type control. Next, after the unit is fully charged, (this takes about two and a half hours or so) you need to set the menus so they are in the "advanced mode". The first thing you do is press the menu/search button and hold it in for two seconds (I do it for three just to make real sure) this will bring up the menus. The first menu you see is simple/advanced. By default, the unit is set to Simple. to change to advanced, just move the special role type control one click toward the buttons; then, press on the role type control for the enter key. That's it. BTW, the menu/search key is right next to the two position volume rocker switch which has a raised dot at the plus end.
HTH.
Sincerely yours,
The Constantly Barefoot,
Ray