[bct] Re: podcast of window eyes verses jaws excellent!

  • From: Slythy_Tove <mcg907@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 06:22:38 -0800 (PST)

Bill,

When I started my research project for my writing class I had no opinion one
way or the other about any of these companies.

GWMicro's staff was antagonistic to me from the get go as soon as I said that I
was writing a research paper and wanted information on the product.  I had to
get most information from the website and from interviewing users.  I won't
name names, but my blood still does a rolling boil when I hear one person's
name mentioned.  Rude.  Nasty. Inconsiderate.  Demeaning.  Hostile.  I think
those are all pretty tempered descriptions of what I experienced.

JFW's staff was somewhat less hostile but certainly not helpful at all and were
more interested in promoting and advertising agenda rather than actually
providing information to use in a product comparison paper.

The people at HAL - Dolphine could not have been nicer.  They bent over
backwards to provide me with anything and everything I needed.  They discussed
the pros and cons of the program, what they hoped to do and their goals and
visions.  They sent me a demo copy, gave me access to users who described their
experiences - the problems, the joys, the pitfalls.

I really worked hard on that paper and I had several highly educated members of
the blind community read it over to make certain that it was as accurate as it
could be.  It came complete with footnotes and credits to the folks who
contributed to it. I had no axe to grind.

JFW/WE were so much into competition and naked power struggles for domination
of the market that they did not want an honest discussion of their product.
When I did release my paper I was careful to say it was a snapshot in time and
would be only useful for a brief period between updates and was based on a
limited amount of information - then the harassing phone calls and emails
started.  Both JFW and WE were furious I allowed anyone who was blind to read
the material and were calling and writing me and were intentionally harassing
and intimidating.

Had I had as much law school then as I do now I'd have told them to blow it out
their ear and sue me.  I hope they have their liability insurance paid up, for
surely if they pull that stunt with another person or two someone is going to
know an attorney who will sue their socks off and win. Whether it was done with
the knowledge of the CEO's or not is immaterial because an agent who speaks for
the company and has implied authority to act for the company can bind the
company to actions in tort.  All knowledge the agent has is imputed to the
owner of the company whether the agent told the owner about it or not.  That
means that the CEO had better know if his agents are  being screwballs and
harassing people.

Personally, I'm all done with JFW and WE.  If I ever need a screen reader I
will contact Dolphin.  I would probably use Mac's screen reader before I dealt
with either JFW or WE again.  And that is from someone who had no opinion at
all before this incident.

Do I plan on calling anyone about it?  No.  They are not on my radar screen any
longer and had Dan not mentioned it I would never have brought it up.  In my
experience, they are staffed by corporate thugs.  On the other hand, I do not
use their product and they have no reason to attempt to cultivate my favor.

My best guess is that the products are largely still the same in terms of
comperable  offerings.  I have a hunch that Dolphin has the most potential for
extreme quality because of the underlying concepts it is based on, but it may
take some time for them to come into their own.  My money - in the long term -
is on Dolphin.

I regret that I had that experience with JFW/WE.  Had I to do it over again,
I'd write about almost anything than screen readers just to not have to
interface with those companies.  I've quite washed my hands of them.

Now, I suspect we have said all there is to say about this.  I'm unlikely to
feel more kindly to them over the long term because what is done is done.  As
long as others are being treated well, that is what is important.  Personally,
I will never voluntarily deal with either of them again unless I am
representing a client against them and that is unlikely as I don't plan on
doing torts work.

Cheers!
Slithy

Bill Belew <bill@xxxxxxxx> wrote:   Message    Marsha  and Dan, I respect both
of you and value what you share on this list, but I have  to say that your
attitude about GW Micro doesn't fit my experience.  They  are a small company
that has managed to stick around for over 15 years and that  has stuck by some
pretty strong ethics about how they do business.  I have  worked with them as a
dealer in the past and have found them accessible and  honest and willing to
listen when I was a dealer and since then as just a  regular customer.  I know
most of the people there from meeting at  conferences and through many phone
calls over the years, and they have always  been helpful and friendly and more
interested in creating reliable access than  becoming big or making huge
profits.  I have found them to be a little  defensive at times, which I think
comes from being the little guy trying to  compete against the big corporate
leader.

 Obviously, your experience is yours, but it is so different from my
experience of GW over the years that I would respectfully suggest that you give
 Doug Geophray a call and talk things over.  Knowing Doug as I do and  knowing
the two of you through the list, I feel certain that you could easily  come to
a better understanding.

 Bill