[bct] Re: new member

  • From: "Jake Joehl" <jajoehl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 12:36:34 -0600

Welcome to the list Kelli. Yeah, Center for Independent Futures is really great. What's so nice about it is that we're like one big, happy family and we always support each other in times of need. There have been a few of those. My upstairs neighbors' oldest boy passed on in his sleep. It will be a year on Monday, and they're going to his grave. Also, my roommate just had to put down his pet dog. But we also share lots of happy moments together. Enough about that for now though. Gotta go make lunch.
----- Original Message ----- From: "kelli finger" <kellifinger2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 22:06:02 -0600

Hi Sabrina and welcome aboard. As others have said, this is a great list for reaching out and talking about issues related to vision impairment and technology. I myself am in a somewhat different situation but was at one time looking for living options away from my folks. Well now I've found that, I'm very happy to report. I won't take up too much list time detailing the agency, but my parents and I found one about two years ago that is local and it, kind of new, and is nonprofit. It is called Center for Independent Futures, and it is about four years old. Basically the way it works is that a bunch of parents of disabled people have banded together to form a co-op of sorts, and thus far we have invested in two buildings which house residents. A third building is in the works. I'm living with a neighbor from several years back, oddly enough. He is legally blind and I only have light perception. I'm unemployed but have worked in the past. I don't want to get into another rant about my state VR agency, but basically they are not talking to me anymore. I live in Illinois, and many friends of mine have said that our VR agency is in need of some big time reforms. Anyway, welcome and be sure to check out http://www.blindcooltech.com. Larry and the others have really done an excellent job putting together this website, and the podcasts are quite interesting and informative. One more thing before I close. My family and I were visiting relatives in Louisville many years back and we stopped off at the American Printing House for the Blind to get a tour. It's a great place to visit.