[bct] Re: new member

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 19:31:19 -0800

Sabrina,

Welcome to the list. I've been where you are as far as living situation goes,
and I hope things will work out well for you. Having good computer skills and
typing skills is certainly a marketable job posibility so I hope you can find
something. I feel a little isolated, having retired a few months ago, but I'm
out every day doing something or other; I think that's the key; just be out and
about even if you just walk through town or walk around the block or the
neighborhood. With winter coming it will be a bit more challenging if it
doesn't stay warm all the time; I don't know much about the climate throughout
Florida although I know southern Florida is quite warm a lot of the time. Just
hang in there and things are bound to work out one way or another. A lot of us
have been where you are and can relate to the frustration. This list is a great
way to reach out. Ironically, when I was working I spent so much time with my
colleagues and the job responsibilities that I didn't have time for lists like
this, but now there's time and I really enjoy reading everyone's e-mail and
relating as a blind person. I always thought of myself as part of the sighted
world, but, surprise, am learning there are things that we as blind people just
happen to do differently, and need different types of support and encouragement
for. I missed out on this support when I was working and realize that missing
out contributed to the general stress. Anyway, this list has a lot of great
give and take, which is super cool!

Mary

mary

Mary