[bct] Re: musical background

  • From: "Neal Ewers" <neal.ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 16:04:33 -0600

Go Mary.  I'm waiting, but just barely.

Neal

-----Original Message-----
From: blindcooltech-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2006 4:00 PM
To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bct] musical background

Neal and all,

My next podcast will be a bunch of music I either wrote or played via
guitar
or piano or keyboard. Most of the stuff I wrote was played by other
people
and some of you have heard some of it before, but I'll include it
anyway.
The one song I didn't write is, I hope, not copyright protected; it's
certainly sung enough. If somebody knows if it's copyrighted, you'll
have to
let me know so I can modify my podcast and remove it.

Background: I started singing at age 2 or 3; I remember coming home from

pre-school (we're talking mid 1950s) and singing the Star Spangled
Banner at
the top of my voice. Unfortunately, my family didn't have a musical bone
in
its collective body, so they were completely uneducated; therefore, I
only
had a couple years of piano lessons which were very basic since I had to

write the music down which took most of the half hour of the lessons; so
don't know how to do scales, arpeggios, trills, and other things; my
piano
technique is almost non-existent, but I do have perfect pitch which can
be a
plus or minus, depending on what music is playing. I took choir all
through
high school and a semester of voice in college; picked up guitar at age
18
and taught myself, except I don't do bar chords so I just capo up where
want to go if something happens to be in F minor or the key of A-Flat or

something like that.

I have a piano which is out of tune and I can't get to it, due to the
clutter around here; I have an old Casio MT40 keyboard which pre-dates
anything anybody has previously mentioned, but I like some of the
instruments on it; two old 1990s Radio Shack keyboards, one good and the

other disappointing but I like the bass sound on it; and the previously
mentioned Yamaha PSR510. I probably won't be getting any more, due to no

current income and being on pre-retirement leave, and everything costing
so
much and living on a budget.

I started writing music at age 13 and haven't written anything in over a

decade but I love anything Celtic, and general folk music so will
probably
get back into it at some point. My guitar is a Martin and was made in
around
1960 from the wonderful Bethlehem, Pennsylvania wood; it's got a
cigarette
burn on it but generally it's in fairly good shape. I had two old
twelve-strings which I loved, but sold real cheap to a fellow musician
who
was ecstatic to get them.

That's about it; will gather the music into a podcast and publish it in
week or two.

Mary