[bct] musical background

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 14:00:06 -0800

Neal and all,

My next podcast will be a bunch of music I either wrote or played via guitar or piano or keyboard. Most of the stuff I wrote was played by other people and some of you have heard some of it before, but I'll include it anyway. The one song I didn't write is, I hope, not copyright protected; it's certainly sung enough. If somebody knows if it's copyrighted, you'll have to let me know so I can modify my podcast and remove it.

Background: I started singing at age 2 or 3; I remember coming home from pre-school (we're talking mid 1950s) and singing the Star Spangled Banner at the top of my voice. Unfortunately, my family didn't have a musical bone in its collective body, so they were completely uneducated; therefore, I only had a couple years of piano lessons which were very basic since I had to write the music down which took most of the half hour of the lessons; so I don't know how to do scales, arpeggios, trills, and other things; my piano technique is almost non-existent, but I do have perfect pitch which can be a plus or minus, depending on what music is playing. I took choir all through high school and a semester of voice in college; picked up guitar at age 18 and taught myself, except I don't do bar chords so I just capo up where I want to go if something happens to be in F minor or the key of A-Flat or something like that.

I have a piano which is out of tune and I can't get to it, due to the clutter around here; I have an old Casio MT40 keyboard which pre-dates anything anybody has previously mentioned, but I like some of the instruments on it; two old 1990s Radio Shack keyboards, one good and the other disappointing but I like the bass sound on it; and the previously mentioned Yamaha PSR510. I probably won't be getting any more, due to no current income and being on pre-retirement leave, and everything costing so much and living on a budget.

I started writing music at age 13 and haven't written anything in over a decade but I love anything Celtic, and general folk music so will probably get back into it at some point. My guitar is a Martin and was made in around 1960 from the wonderful Bethlehem, Pennsylvania wood; it's got a cigarette burn on it but generally it's in fairly good shape. I had two old twelve-strings which I loved, but sold real cheap to a fellow musician who was ecstatic to get them.

That's about it; will gather the music into a podcast and publish it in a week or two.