[bct] Re: movies and other things

  • From: "Clay Jeffcoat" <cjeffcoat2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 23:40:53 -0500

Hi Jeff,

I'm sure some electrician would shoot down everything I posted, saying that
the theory wasn't entirely correct, but I think I've got a basic
understanding.  I'm certainly no expert, but thanks for the complements.  I
hope it can help someone.

220 is more efficient I think because you're drawing half the amps across
each 110 wire.  Let's say you had a window unit that could be wired either
by 110 or 220, in our case it's probably like 120 and 240. Check the line
voltage that comes in to your house.  Most of the older electronics specify
that they will take 110 to 115 or 120.  My line voltage at outlets in my
house is around 125v, that's why I have to install some components in some
old antique radios that I restore to drop it to 115 to make it easier on the
tubes.  I have to get someone to do most of the soldering for me, but I run
down schematics, capacitors, resisters, tubes, and other parts.  I mainly
clean and prep the old wooden cabinets and chassis.  Then I get my parts all
together and have a friend do the soldering of the caps for me, one at a
time to keep from getting things mixed up.

But back to the window unit.  If the unit needs 440 watts of power to run,
then you would be drawing 4 amps of power, assuming the line voltage is 110.
If you wired it 220, then you'd only be drawing 2 amps.  remember this
simple formula, watts which is power consumption, what you're worried  about
on your bill = line voltage times amps.  Using algebra, we can figure out
that amps = watts divided by line voltage.

Ok, enough of this, I'm probably boring everyone else.  We certainly do miss
Larry, but he does need a vacation.  I'm thinking about buying the Olympus
ds-2, even though it only has 64 megs, I can move my files off of it and who
wants to listen to me for more than an hour, I'll never now.

I have my mike and an old mixer fixed up here and I downloaded studio
recorder.  I love it!

I'm trying to decide what I would do my first pod cast on though.  I could
probably just start recording and see where it goes but I don't want to bore
people!

The email list is great also!

Ok, I'll shut up now.  Keep the email and casts coming!
Clay
  _____