[bct] Re: movies and other things

  • From: "jeff" <j1armstrong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 22:12:00 -0600

Mary,

    My favorite Christmas movies include;
. The Christmas Box (1995) starring; Richard Thomas, get tissues ready.

The same goes for "The homecoming", which is a Walton's Christmas movie.
I also like Christmas Vacation, it's just crazy, gross, and funny.

Home alone, the original one in the series is pretty funny as well.

A Christmas Story which I saw last year for the first time.  Yeah, it's classic.

The only version of "A Christmas Carol", I can stand is the Muppet Christmas
Carol which is very humorous.  Most of the others are simply to morbid.

The Charlie Brown Christmas is great as is the Grinch Who Stole Christmas.
Rudolph and all the other "claymation" shows are cute too.

Mary says that . Christmas Comes to Willow Creek (1989) starring John Schnyder
is a really nice holiday movie.

My daughter, Nichole, likes "The nightmare before Christmas" which is very
strange.  You've got to be in the right mood to watch that one.

Mary just said, "scruged", is pretty good too, with Bill Murray.

If you can find it, NPR did a piece on David Sedaris becoming an elf at Macy's
for Christmas, it was so funny I loved it.  It is available somewhere, I just
don't know where.  I will look.
OK, it is in a book called Holidays on Ice: Stories (Hardcover) I would it is
available from the Talking Books people.  Sorry, I don't know the name of the
library off the top of my head.  I haven't gotten a book from them for about 5
years.  I read all the Stephen King books and then needed a break.  Other
things have taken up my time other than reading.

By The Way;
Clay, that was an excellent description of the function and wiring of 220
breakers and the practical information behind it.  Before I wired my 50Amp
circuit for the new oven, I had to read up and figure it out on my own.  Until
that moment, I had not even been curious about the double breaker in my box
which powers the baseboard heater in the kitchen.  A friend of mine is more
knowledgeable about the subject and I ran my thinking by him before proceeding
with the job.  I always like to bounce new things off someone with experience
before proceeding.  The whole phase thing took a couple of minutes to sink in.
One should always double or triple check one's sources before purchasing
breakers or wiring for the job.  There are many different styles of breaker box
and matching breakers and the wiring must be sized according to the amperage of
the breaker in the box.  I had a hard time finding the larger wiring for the
50amp circuit.  Also, local codes may determine what you can and cannot do.
Here, for example, we need a separate breaker for a doorbell transformer or for
a electronic ignition furnace.  I found all the info on the internet with a bit
of searching.  I did remove a 220v breaker once.  It had been wired to power an
older window air conditioner that the previous home owners had been using.  I
removed the breaker, and part of the wiring.  We then replaced the outlet with
a standard 110-120 outlet.  220v is supposed to be more efficient than 110 but
I don't know why.  My current air conditioners are standard 110 voltage models.
 Most of my work has been replacing "knob and tube" wiring with standard new
wiring where possible.  My house was built in 1916 and unfortunately, some of
the top plates of the walls are covered with several inches of plaster which
makes it harder to rewire.  Insurance companies will give a discount when the
wiring is upgraded.  Main floor outlets are easy because I can get to them from
the basement but the upstairs ones are a real pain.  You've got to come down
from the attic floor to the lighting fixtures and then connect your switch
wiring as well.  Lucky us, our upstairs plaster ceilings started falling in and
we were granted access to the wiring the hard way.  We ended up having to
remove all the plaster and lathing from two of our three bedrooms.  Joy, Joy,
Joy!

Jeff