[bct] Re: more thoughts on hearing

  • From: "Neal Ewers" <neal.ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:53:21 -0600

Good points all.  That's how people learn about how it is to be blind.
One can't expect them to know unless they ask.  I simply meant that it
is curious what people ask sometimes.  But I would rather they ask than
just assume.  What I find sad is represented by the story below.  This
recently happened to me.

I was standing at the bus stop when a little girl came up to me and
said, "Hi Mister, are you blind?"

I said that I was.  "Wow" she said, that's cool" and she started asking
me questions.  Just then her mother came out of a nearby store and said
to her daughter, "Honey, let's go, you shouldn't bother that man."  "But
mother", I heard her say as they moved away, "I was just asking
questions."  "Well," said her mother, "you shouldn't go bothering people
like that."

I am often impressed at the canter that little children have.  They want
to know everything.  It's only when the adult comes along, that this
willingness to learn sometimes becomes a lesson in how not to learn
anything at all because one shouldn't ask questions of people who are
different.  Let's hear it for children and their desire to know.

Neal