[bct] Re: more thoughts on hearing

  • From: "Debee Norling" <debee@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 14:56:22 -0800

Mike was saying that there are blind people who have highly functional
hearing but have trouble using it for orientation.

I think it is like sighted people who have perfect vision and don't need
glasses, yet they get lost whenever they drive a car somewhere. Then there
are near-sighted drivers who have great orientation.

I think the ability to be oriented is a talent, like being musical and some
of us have it and some of us don't. And it doesn't matter whether or not we
can see.

If we see, then we drive and we can't find our way out of a paper bag. If
we're blind, and we use a cane we still can't find our way out of a paper

I've thought a lot about this because my husband has excellent orientation
and though he's the rare sort of guy who doesn't mind asking for directions,
he actually rarely needs to. My mom, on the other hand is always, always
lost when she drives, even when she gets clear directions.

And I used to be really oriented; you could show me a route just a few times
and I knew it cold. But ever since menopause started, I've been much more
disoriented; I get lost fairly easily now. I think that hormone level drops
have definitely affected my ability to navigate.