[bct] Re: more thoughts on hearing

  • From: "Neal Ewers" <neal.ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 09:39:59 -0600

Hi all, that's one of the nice things about binaural recordings.  I
think I still have a set of headphones with microphones built into them
that I bought about 20 years ago.  I could walk along with them on and
hear exactly the kinds of echoes from buildings, telephone poles, etc.
that I can hear with no headphones.  If I still have those things, I'll
do a short podcast when it gets warm enough to be outside.  They were
quite noisy with respect to microphone noise, but this was back in the
days of cassette tapes and who cared about a bit of microphone noise
back then?  The plastic molding of the head phones had an ear shaped
place that housed the microphones.  It's too bad nobody I know of makes
something similar today.  I haven't done much research on this, but it
would solve a bunch of problems like, being able to hear that the
recorder was really on and whether or not you were getting distorted
sound.  I felt quite safe wearing them because the sound was so very
close to what I heard without them.