[bct] Re: more thoughts on hearing

  • From: "J Garcia" <j.garcia235@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 01:30:55 -0800

Maria,

Regarding your umbrella/rain problem, your difficulties may be stemming from
your focused attention than anything else. Your attention is like a
flashlight. When you are walking around your house your mental attentional
flashlight is wide and unfocused, but if you hear a strange noise, your
attentional flashlight will narrow and turn its focus directly on the sound.
In time, and with lots of practice, you can learn to quickly identify many
sounds which will help you travel much easier as you won't need to attend to
as much stimuli as before. Again, this takes time and effort and whenever
you are having trouble orienting yourself or finding your way, rather than
immediately asking for help, this is a perfect opportunity to hone this
skill. Don't get me wrong, overwhelming stimuli will still make mobility
difficult such as large buses or trash trucks, but you can simply wait until
they pass to go about your way. As for rain, I find it easier to travel when
its very cloudy as the sound is easier to "see," but too much rain masks
lots of stimuli.

J Garcia