[bct] Re: more thoughts on hearing

  • From: "Neal Ewers" <neal.ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 10:48:50 -0600

I have often wondered about how much or little people think before they
ask certain questions.  Not long ago, I got it again.  "What can you
hear that I don't hear?"  A bit too much scotch perhaps.  How do I
really know what someone else is hearing.  However, there is a research
project at the University of Wisconsin that looks at a person's very
sophisticated hearing tests and then tries to replicate what they might
hear in a given situation.  So, you can actually put on headphones and
hear what someone else might hear in a given situation.  It's
fascinating.  I often have to stop and realize how lucky I have been to
be able to work at Trace and consult with other researchers here.  There
is a lot to learn out there.

Neal